Sediment free bottled beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Afretallick

Reaction score
I am preparing to bottle my beer and wanted to know ideas on getting sediment free or lesson the amount of sediment in the bottles. After I siphon my beer into my bottling bucket and add my sugar I wanted to know if I can filter the beer going into the bottles to lesson the amount of sediment? Will it mess up the carbonation process? Any help would be great. I have seen numerous different caps to put on and such but I'm trying to not spend extra money nor worry about saving the caps to reuse.

I know at the craft breweries they will filter a bottled beer up to 3 times going finer and finer rather than filtering only once if its going to a keg...I asked them about oxidation during this processes and they said it gets some oxygen but not enough to get off flavors. So..I don't see why you couldn't filter it again to try and reduce the amount of sediment.

Just guessing but I'd think the bigger boys would use a closed system filtration. If you use strainers or a cheese cloth in the open air I'd start by trying it with a portion of the batch so you can test the results side by side when your brew is ready.

The sediment is yeast that ate sugar in the bottle to create carbonation. So you can't bottle carb without it.

You have to filter with a "sterile" filter to get the yeast out. But it only makes sense if you keg / force carb.

If you chill it hard (after carving for 2-3 weeks @ room temp!) for at least a week, a lot will drop and stick to the bottom.

The sediment is yeast that ate sugar in the bottle to create carbonation. So you can't bottle carb without it.

You have to filter with a "sterile" filter to get the yeast out. But it only makes sense if you keg / force carb.

If you chill it hard (after carving for 2-3 weeks @ room temp!) for at least a week, a lot will drop and stick to the bottom.

Carving?

You saying to chill it for a week right before bottling?

Carbing. It carbonates in the bottle, so chill it hard after it conditions in the bottle for 2-3 weeks.

Yes carbonating. Not carving.

Bottle conditioned and carbonated beer has sediment, unfortunately!

I get really clear beer by carbonating in a keg and then using a beer gun to bottle when I need to. Granted, not everyone has the space for a dedicated beer fridge; but it really makes for some clear beer. Also nice to have beer on tap.

Thank you for all the information. im just going to suck it up and stop trying to lesson the amount of sediment. It doesn't bother me I just want to get as close to a perfect beer as possible.

Cold crashing for a few days will do wonders as well. I have never seen a need to filter beer at a home brew level. Cold crashing will give crystal clear beer. Also some yeast strains are more flocculant than others.

If you let your beer have sufficient time in the fermenter for most of the suspended yeast to settle out and are careful while siphoning to the bottling bucket you can reduce the amount of sediment to a nearly invisible layer in the bottle. Giving the bottles sufficient chilling time will settle out more yet and if you have chill haze from the proteins, those settle out too and the yeast will compact down to a very thin layer.

I've bottled early and had a lot of sediment and bottled after a long time in the fermenter and got very little sediment.

Back