Sediment at the top of the bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alimacoz

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I bottled a batch of bright ale Friday night and when I checked one of the bottles today they feel like they're carbing up nicely (PET) but they have nearly all got a ring of sediment around the top of the level where the beer touches the bottle at the top.

When I shake the bottle this sediment ring comes off of the side, the other beers I've bottled haven't had this sous this anything to worry about?

Huh - I haven't heard that as a common complaint from the drops. You usually hear that more with DME. Anyway, not much you can do at this point. The yeast create bubbles. Those bubbles carry stuff with them as they rise. You could even end up with a mini-krausen. If you have enough, it can leave a ring just like you get in your primary.

I would bet that it is only a cosmetic flaw and your beer will taste fine.

billl said:
Huh - I haven't heard that as a common complaint from the drops. You usually hear that more with DME. Anyway, not much you can do at this point. The yeast create bubbles. Those bubbles carry stuff with them as they rise. You could even end up with a mini-krausen. If you have enough, it can leave a ring just like you get in your primary.

I would bet that it is only a cosmetic flaw and your beer will taste fine.

Thanks bill I've just given the bottles a little shake and the ring has cleared, I'm sure it'll be fine, got 2 other batches to bottle this weekend so I'll see how they turn out!

Back