Sediment and Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubbles2

Reaction score
Thanks for looking in,

I am near bottling my Stout, it is in the secondary (clearing and getting down to 1013-1020 at the moment. The sludge that was left behind (2" in the primary) is a good reason to want to use a 2ndary.
In the secondary I now have a good 1/2" of sludge in it. I do not want to mix in my priming sugar and expect that sediment to settle in a reasonable amount of time....(Unless you add priming sugar and leave it for at least over night before transferring to bottles....but I think it needs to go into the bottle right away)

Are you all using a 3rd bucket to bottle?

My Primary now has an IPA wort in it, the 2ndary is the one with a spigot...So using my Primary to transfer that Stout to, is not in the cards at the moment, due to the IPA.

I was going to transfer Stout back into boil kettle, clean out 2ndary, and then put Stout back in 2ndary to add prime sugar and bottle.

How are you all "chasing that sludge" out of your beer?

I

I let the beer go all the way until it’s ready to bottle in a primary fermenter and then move out of that to a bottling bucket. Sounds like you moved yours to the bottling bucket in order to let it clear.

For the most part, secondary is not needed and most people will tell you not to unless you are adding fruit or other things.

I'd worry about oxidation if you are transferring to your boil kettle and then back into you secondary/bottling bucket.

Personally, I'd just go grab another bottling bucket.

Griffin495, what is the difference between a boil pot stainless and a bucket plastic in regards to oxidation?

I let the beer go all the way until it’s ready to bottle in a primary fermenter and then move out of that to a bottling bucket. Sounds like you moved yours to the bottling bucket in order to let it clear.
How do you get yours to clear? I siphoned and still managed to grab some sludge... Hence the secondary...Leaving me at my O.P

You’ll never get no trub in your beer unless you run through filters which is expensive and difficult

Trub is ok in bottles and kegs and you’ll be fine

In your case I’d rack into another bucket add priming sugar and press on

Stressing over trub like worrying about efficiency is a waste of time

I leave it in the fermenter until it’s as clear as I want it. Generally, that’s about three weeks. Shorter if I’ll be cold crashing and fining with gelatin. When transferring, if you’re using a siphon I’d recommend erring on the side of caution and leaving a bit of beer in your vessel rather than getting a little greedy and ending up with trub in the next bucket.

You are always going to get "sludge" in your bottles. With a careful pour you can keep it out of your glass, and leave the last little bit in the bottle.

Well with the siphon I have, ( hose with a copper collar and a check ball) one must thrust a bit into the liquid to be transferred with a bit of vigor and a few times, which tends to stir the Trub, being careful as one can.
Now in the secondary, albeit with a spigot a slow transfer into a racking bucket and time for that to settle after adding sugar.
How long can I leave the Priming sugar in it if I want that trub to settle before bottling? Overnight? Or will that be too long?

Back