Secret ingredient... Toddler Slobber???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mountainsax

Reaction score
Let me set the scene for you. We are near the end of brewing the Cascade Mountains West Coast Imperial IPA extract kit from Northern. Cleaning and sanitation have been impeccable. We have a couple different timers going to make sure we don't miss any hops or sugar additions. The yeast is happy and proofs great and the sort comes down to 60 deg in no time.

My wife is holding the funnel and I'm pouring wort into the carboy and our curious toddler comes over to investigate. She gets a little close and we ask her to backup. In protest, and because 3 year olds are just small beasts, she spits into the funnel! It's not a big chunky one, but a typical little kid spray with the tongue out!

Has anyone had this happen? Is the beer ruined? Am I going to have to cut her allowance for the next ten years to get another kit?

Ha that is awesome! Well on my side at least...

I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. I've read lots worse on here that people have done to fresh chilled wort. Dropping and fishing cell phone from wort is one that comes to mind.

Almost makes a guy wonder if stringent sanitation is necessary haha

Can I steal the name that's awesome oh and I'm sure the yeast will kill anything. I have a two yr old that does the same spit thing and the amount that comes off her mouth is minimal so I wouldnt b to worried. Now u have a great name for the beer for better or worse. Lol I'm sure it'll b fine. I've had dog hairs in primary that I found later on and I'm sure those have more gunk than a kids spit so I'm sure your fine. Let us know how it goes.

If I recall correctly, early brewers would chew the grain then spit it back into the mash.... Enzymes in saliva are helpful in breaking down the starches into fermentable sugars...

If you get an especially vigorous fermentation, blame the toddler slobber....

In the meantime, RDWHAHB.

Well, it is officially Toddler Slobber IPA! I'll keep you posted on the tasting. If anyone is down in beautiful Southwest Colorado in about 6-8 weeks you can come by for a tasting!😜

Can't say I've experienced toddler slobber, but once I made the mistake of turning my back on a bucket of wort as I went to grab the yeast. Heard a slurping noise and sure enough, there was my bully girl just going to town. Guess she thought it was her new dog bowl. The beer was fine.

I was just going to post that I read a thread of dog slobber being introduced to the wort. Hey, I'm willing to try anything for a new brew. But if somebody posts about waste going into it, I'm gonna have to draw the line. Cheers.

Let me set the scene for you. We are near the end of brewing the Cascade Mountains West Coast Imperial IPA extract kit from Northern. Cleaning and sanitation have been impeccable. We have a couple different timers going to make sure we don't miss any hops or sugar additions. The yeast is happy and proofs great and the sort comes down to 60 deg in no time.

My wife is holding the funnel and I'm pouring wort into the carboy and our curious toddler comes over to investigate. She gets a little close and we ask her to backup. In protest, and because 3 year olds are just small beasts, she spits into the funnel! It's not a big chunky one, but a typical little kid spray with the tongue out!

Has anyone had this happen? Is the beer ruined? Am I going to have to cut her allowance for the next ten years to get another kit?

Your beer will be fine. Your wort is acidic enough to keep many bacteria from multiplying. Then you add a huge number of yeast cells compared to the bacteria in that slobber and they will multiply in the beer (as soon as you pitch yeast it changes from wort to beer, even though there is no fermentation or alcohol yet) and outcompete the bacteria. As soon as the yeast get a good start they start to produce CO2 which blankets the beer and that CO2 shuts down nearly every bacteria that could survive in the acidic envirlonment and to top it all off, you soon have alcohol in the beer too.

Tapped the Toddler Slobber IPA this weekend and it is excellent! Thanks for letting me know it would be ok so I didn't stress the last 6 weeks!

I've read lots worse on here that people have done to fresh chilled wort.
4p.jpg

Congrats! I am jealous...I lack the toddler to assist in making such a great brew though. OK I am not so jealous haha

You guys clearly don't understand how terrible a toddler's mouth is! Have you not looked in your cup after they've taken a sip?

Maybe you should send a sample to Passedpawn to get a clearer look. From the scientific research I've read it's far worse than the biohazard waste containers in the hospital! And the telltale signs are all over the lacing on the glass!

Too funny, good to know it worked out. I have an overly helpful 2yr old and a very curious bully girl that love to hang around during brewing sessions.:cross:

Too funny, good to know it worked out. I have an overly helpful 2yr old and a very curious bully girl that love to hang around during brewing sessions.:cross:

So you could try a combo - toddler and doggie slobber! Please brew a batch and report back.
:D

While the secret ingredient might be questionable, this is the best IPA we have made yet! As clear as any beer you could buy and darn tasty! Definitely will be brewing this one again. Maybe without the help of the three year old next time![emoji12]

While the secret ingredient might be questionable, this is the best IPA we have made yet! As clear as any beer you could buy and darn tasty! Definitely will be brewing this one again. Maybe without the help of the three year old next time![emoji12]

Maybe that's your secret ingredient. Who know maybe klimmich has 3 yr old's drool into his heady topper he's not telling anyone about.

Latest posts

Back