Secondary time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ks_medic

Reaction score
So i cold crashed an cream ale and added gelatin but forgot to take a hydrometer reading. what would the adjustment be for taking a reading at 32F? or should i just warm it back up?

Also can i leave it in a secondary because i can't get around to bottling it till end of December? It was in the primary for a month.

just let it warm up to 60, it won't take that long. i forget what the temp correction is, but probably something like .004 (a google should track down a table for you).

you can definitely leave it in the secondary, it'll be nice and clear by then.

Sounds like a plan, i'll let it warm up and just sit on it till after Christmas. I was just worried that with the gelatin i needed to keep it cold. I've never used it before so i was unsure on the details.

If it was my beer, I'll pull the sample and then let the sample warm up. You can knock the bubbles off, too, by spinning the hydrometer. I'd keep the secondary cold, since that will give you crystal clear beer when you bottle.

Do you have to add the gelatin at the time you transfer to the secondary, or once transfered for several days can you still add the gelatin? and how? Just dump it in the top? or is it too late?

Also, can you leave it in the secondary for a longer duration of time say 6-8weeks? will it be ok?

Thanks

If it was my beer, I'll pull the sample and then let the sample warm up. You can knock the bubbles off, too, by spinning the hydrometer. I'd keep the secondary cold, since that will give you crystal clear beer when you bottle.

Doh :cross: That is way to easy and makes too much sense. Thanks yooper

Do you have to add the gelatin at the time you transfer to the secondary, or once transfered for several days can you still add the gelatin? and how? Just dump it in the top? or is it too late?

Also, can you leave it in the secondary for a longer duration of time say 6-8weeks? will it be ok?

Thanks

you can still add the gelatin in, just dump it in the top. i don't see any reason why you couldn't secondary for 6-8 weeks.

Latest posts

Back