Secondary temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomtanner

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a temp controlled fridge that I use for fermentation. Problem is that it can only hold one vessel at a time. I am about to get into a brewing frenzy over the next month and will need to move a few ales into a secondary for awhile. So my question is if I move one beer into a secondary but the temp raises from say 68 degrees up to around 75 degrees in a secondary will it adversely affect my beer? I am only talking about ales for now.

It won't hurt your beers at all. The critical periods for off flavors are the lag phase and the active phase. Once the majority of the sugars are gone you can let your beer warm up and it will help the yeast clean up any intermediate products of fermentation. I usually only do temperature control for ales for 4 to 7 days and then warm them up. I also get better attenuation doing it this way.

Back