secondary temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisianaKid

Reaction score
from what i understand the secondary serves the purpose of letting particles further settle out of the beer and that no fermentation is occurring. That said does it really matter what temperature i keep it at. My roommates parents who pay the electricity bill demand they keep it at a brisk 80 degrees year round, if you factor in my continuous changing of the thermostat we probably average around 76-78 and 68 if they are out of town or out for the day. I was keeping my primary in a rubbermaid tote with water bottles at 67 degrees and was wondering if i need to continue this through secondary and after i bottle.

for the best result, i would say continue the cooling process with the secondary. the bottles can stay at room temp until they are ready to drink, then stick them in the fridge for a couple days before you down them.

I keep my secondaries at room temp sometimes due to lack of space...i think they would benefit from cooler temperatures (looking for fridges now) but they still make good beer.

I often don't use a secondary and just keep cooling in my fermentation chiller, but sometimes i run out of space and time.

the primary is the most important part. most of the off flavors and fusel alcohols will be produced during the primary fermentation if you have high temps.

:mug:

Back