Secondary fermenter selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Byaka

Reaction score
I feel silly asking this question, but I do need some help...

I have brewed my first 5 successful batches and am now looking to slowly start upgrading my equipment. Now I am looking to get a couple of fermenters that I will be using exclusively for secondary fermentation. Here is my dilemma. I really like these Fermonsters - wide mouth is especially attractive for dry hopping (can use hops in a fine mesh bag) and carboy cleaning. However, I would like my secondary fermenter to be made out of glass (so that I don't worry about getting it scratched during cleaning and can leave, say, my future big Belgians there for a long time and not worry about plastic affecting taste) and to be 5 Gal in size (to minimize head space since I am making 5 Gal batches).

The only wide mouth glass fermenters I was able to find are 5.5 Gal Kegco and Big Mouth Bubbler EVO 2. First has poor reviews (thin glass) and the second does not have a threaded lid. Besides, it is just unjustifiably expensive for an oversized glass jar. So, I haven't found any secondary fermenter that would make me drool over it.

Here are my questions.
1) Am I wrong in my thinking that I need to have a glass container for my secondary? I remember reading it somewhere. If I glass is not needed, I wouldn't mind getting a Fermonster.
2) Those of you using "classic" 5 Gal glass carboys, what's your preferred method for dry hopping? Using a hop bag is out of the question because of the narrow opening. Do you just drop the hops into the beer and filter them out during raking?
3) Do you have any other recommendations for a 5 Gal glass container I can get to be my secondary?

Any suggestions or comments are highly appreciated!

IMHO forget glass, breakable, heavy, expensive, etc, PET is totally chemically inert and O2 impervious, plastic fear is conspiracy theory, not science. I secondary in 5gal spring water carboys, $7 ea. I just picked up a 7gal Fermonster from Morebeer.com, very nice!

Why do you need a secondary?

If it's for straight up "normal" beers ditch the secondary. It does only more harm than good. Beer finishing slower due to less yeast present, oxidization, more cleaning, another step where you can pick up an infection..

Leave a beer for six weeks or even more in your primary fermentor if you like, it'll be fine.

1. If you will be keeping the beer in secondary for any significant amount of time, glass is probably worthwhile. That's just, like, my opinion man. As you can see, there are those on here who disagree.

2. I use a standard 5 gal. glass carboys when I secondary. I use the plastic funnel that came with my Bayou Burner and a melamine chopstick to get the hops in the carboy for dry hopping; its not beautiful, but it works. FWIW, I only secondary batches that are being dry hopped or bulk aged for long periods of time.

3. See the other posts, above.

I have secondary every batch I've ever brewed. Well over 200, until this one. I made a commitment to do the next 10 primary only to see for myself

From what I've read and heard there's no need to do it.

Not sure it does any harm, but it really doesn't do much at all

FWIW

We're all different and have various opinions about all aspects of brewing

I regret having picked the glass carboy when I initially purchased my first homebrewing kit. In retrospect, I should have gotten a plastic fermenter or another bucket! I can tell you that in my experience, I have quite a few brews with no signs of any cuts/scratches/anomalies/etc. in my plastic buckets. I clean them gently with Oxiclean, and have never had a problem with off-flavors.

When I do use my glass carboy and have to move it around, I get flashbacks to when I was first handling our first-born...almost too scared to even touch it for fear of it shattering and losing all that beer. Okay...so it's a little different...but you know what I mean.

Have you thought about a corney keg? Cheap, easy to clean, impervious to light and O2, easy to flush with CO2 easy to move around, big opening, just the right size for a 5 gal batch and doubles as a bottling bucket. .

The only secondary I have ever done has been dry hop or oak chips, both in the keg before chilling, carbing and tapping.

I feel silly asking this question, but I do need some help...

I have brewed my first 5 successful batches and am now looking to slowly start upgrading my equipment. Now I am looking to get a couple of fermenters that I will be using exclusively for secondary fermentation. Here is my dilemma. I really like these Fermonsters - wide mouth is especially attractive for dry hopping (can use hops in a fine mesh bag) and carboy cleaning. However, I would like my secondary fermenter to be made out of glass (so that I don't worry about getting it scratched during cleaning and can leave, say, my future big Belgians there for a long time and not worry about plastic affecting taste) and to be 5 Gal in size (to minimize head space since I am making 5 Gal batches).

The only wide mouth glass fermenters I was able to find are 5.5 Gal Kegco and Big Mouth Bubbler EVO 2. First has poor reviews (thin glass) and the second does not have a threaded lid. Besides, it is just unjustifiably expensive for an oversized glass jar. So, I haven't found any secondary fermenter that would make me drool over it.

Here are my questions.
1) Am I wrong in my thinking that I need to have a glass container for my secondary? I remember reading it somewhere. If I glass is not needed, I wouldn't mind getting a Fermonster.
2) Those of you using "classic" 5 Gal glass carboys, what's your preferred method for dry hopping? Using a hop bag is out of the question because of the narrow opening. Do you just drop the hops into the beer and filter them out during raking?
3) Do you have any other recommendations for a 5 Gal glass container I can get to be my secondary?

Any suggestions or comments are highly appreciated!

Plastic is good. I have 2 fermonsters and I want some more. I do not use any scrubbers inside them however, stick with PBW for cleaning

Glass is unforgiving of mistakes or carelessness. Stainless steel is relatively expensive. If I had a choice of plastic, the Speidel fermentation containers would be my first choice. They're easily sanitized with One Step or StarSan. Five gallon Speidels can be purchased online and shipped if your shop doesn't carry them in house.

If you're doing a secondary it's best to keep the vessel sanitized and transfer as much liquid as possible with little headspace to minimize oxidation as you age. Kegs make great secondary vessels. A Speidel fermenter is a good choice too, just in case you have still active yeast in suspension. Kegs can be purged at intervals. A plastic fermenter with a serviceable airlock installed won't need purging with secondary fermentation, but will be susceptible to temperature and air pressure changes that might empty the liquid barrier.

Thanks to everyone who responded!

I just picked up 3 used ball-lock kegs off of craigslist ($30 a piece) and will look into using them as secondaries. Totally agree with the general sentiment on glass carboys - too darn heavy and slippery. Just thinking about dropping that thing and losing my precious brew gives me chills.

So glad I have found this forum! Thank you for your help!

Thanks to everyone who responded!

I just picked up 3 used ball-lock kegs off of craigslist ($30 a piece) and will look into using them as secondaries. Totally agree with the general sentiment on glass carboys - too darn heavy and slippery. Just thinking about dropping that thing and losing my precious brew gives me chills.

So glad I have found this forum! Thank you for your help!

I wouldn't worry so much about losing your precious brew as much as losing a toe or worse.

Just another opinion, but I'm firmly in the glass carboy camp. You've got several options available with glass that aren't available with plastic or SS:

1.) Bleach (no good with SS since it causes pitting/rust)
2.) Autoclave (no good with plastic because of the temp and kegs may suffer from the glued on bottom and top handles/bumpers)
3.) Glass is resistant to scratching.
4.) Glass doesn't retain flavor/aroma from previous batches.

I only pointing out the benefits of glass. There are detriments that have already been outlined by previous posters. I use all three options presented, but for the beers I brew, glass is what I rely on (high abv & malty styles).

As always, there is no one answer. Only opinion. I think your kegs will serve you well no matter what path you choose.

Good luck! :mug:

Just another opinion, but I'm firmly in the glass carboy camp. You've got several options available with glass that aren't available with plastic or SS:

1.) Bleach (no good with SS since it causes pitting/rust)
2.) Autoclave (no good with plastic because of the temp and kegs may suffer from the glued on bottom and top handles/bumpers)
3.) Glass is resistant to scratching.
4.) Glass doesn't retain flavor/aroma from previous batches.

I only pointing out the benefits of glass. There are detriments that have already been outlined by previous posters. I use all three options presented, but for the beers I brew, glass is what I rely on (high abv & malty styles).

As always, there is no one answer. Only opinion. I think your kegs will serve you well no matter what path you choose.

Good luck! :mug:

Plastic:
1) no need of bleach.
2) no need to autoclave
3) no risk of scratching if you don't use the wrong cleaning tool
4) does not retain flavor from previous batches and does not transmit aroma either.

Plastic:
1) no need of bleach.
2) no need to autoclave
3) no risk of scratching if you don't use the wrong cleaning tool
4) does not retain flavor from previous batches and does not transmit aroma either.

It was not my intention to start a debate. Plastic has advantages that have already been mentioned. I champion glass for the reasons previously listed and rebuttals below.

1&2) I do both normal and "sour" fermentations with the same equipment. Both bleach and heat help sanitize and sterilize my carboys. Glass rinses clean. No problems with cross contamination.

3) Rousing the yeast is one way to help fermentation finish out. Yes, you could use something besides a stainless steel soon, but anything you use will end up scratching the plastic. Its just inherently soft as compared to glass.

4) I also have plastic carboys which are great (Spiedel), but thy do indeed retain aroma from previous batches. I've not had a problem with this, but it's nerve wracking to transfer fresh wort into something that smells like another beer.

Again, this is my take on things and what works in my process. If plastic only works for you, that's great. :mug:

Latest posts

Back