Secondary fermentation temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeybadger

Reaction score
So I've recently started using a fridge with a temp controller as my fermentation chiller.

The thing is, it's only big enough for one fermenter at a time. This means I can only brew one 5 gallon batch at a time if I want the temperature properly controlled. (It's summer here at the moment so it's definitely required)

I think I read somewhere that once primary fermentation is complete, the yeast no longer produce esters/phenol alcohols and other bad things.

Does this sound correct? And if so, could I move the fermenter somewhere else (warmer) for the remainder of fermentation?

This way I can free up the fermentation chiller and make more beer! :rockin:

How long has it been in the fermentor? yeah, once its done fermenting you can move it to a warmer area. Better yet, once you see the vigorous activity slow you can move it then to a warmer area and it will speed up the yeast finishing up the beer and cleaning up after themselves.

Also, the "secondary fermentation" is a misnomer. The beer only ferments once unless you are adding additional sugars. With proper pitching rates and oxygenation you should be able to ramp the temp up after 3-4 days with most ales and be done in 7-10 days.

You should easily be able to brew every weekend if you wanted to and be able to control the main part of fermentation with your temp controller.

EDIT: I wouldn't let the temp get too crazy though. 70-75 would be fine. Maybe pushing 80, but I wouldn't push my luck that far too much.

How long has it been in the fermentor? yeah, once its done fermenting you can move it to a warmer area. Better yet, once you see the vigorous activity slow you can move it then to a warmer area and it will speed up the yeast finishing up the beer and cleaning up after themselves.

Also, the "secondary fermentation" is a misnomer. The beer only ferments once unless you are adding additional sugars. With proper pitching rates and oxygenation you should be able to ramp the temp up after 3-4 days with most ales and be done in 7-10 days.

You should easily be able to brew every weekend if you wanted to and be able to control the main part of fermentation with your temp controller.

EDIT: I wouldn't let the temp get too crazy though. 70-75 would be fine. Maybe pushing 80, but I wouldn't push my luck that far too much.

Thanks for the quick reply.

It's been in there about a week, which is probably the minimum it would get anyway. Not planning to brew immediately, but it's good to know for planning in the future.

By secondary fermentation I mean phase where the yeasties go into clean up mode. I've never used a secondary fermenter - I don't dry hop so it just seems like a hassle.

Back