secondary fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bier4me

Reaction score
I brewed last Saturday and had a gravity reading of 1.070, which was exactly what the recipe called for. I took another reading on Wednesday of 1.034, the recipe said my final gravity should be around 1.018. I took another reading today at 1.034. Will going to secondary fermentation help with the yeast attenuation? Should I add yeast?

Secondary usually helps yeast to settle and helps clear the beer, rather than attenuate. To start I would try sanitizing a racking cane or other suitable utinsel, and stirring up the yeast.
What is your fermentation temp? Sometimes raising the temp a few degrees can help. Are you using the same yeast as the recipe? If you are using a different yeast, try to keep your fermentation temps at the temps recommended for the particular yeast, and not for the recipe.

You DON'T want to open the bucket and stir the yeast. Beer is not the same as mead, doing that can oxidize it. If you want to rouse the yeast keeping the bucket sealed, simply lift the bucket up and give it a little swirl. Also warm the fermenter up.

Racking to a secondary could just as easily cause the fermentation to stall out. Read THIS post for an explination.

Back