Secondary feeding?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepinjeepin

Reaction score
I brewed an Old Ale on 10-1-11 with an OG of 1.080 that finished down to 1.020. I pitched Wyeast Brett B 5112 on 2-10-12 and Wyeast Lacto 5335 3-24-12. I feel the need to monkey around with it some but am very new to wild and sour so I came here for help. I am thinking about boiling up a feeding to pitch to it. Maltodextrin for the Brett? Dextrose or white sugar for the Lacto to munch on? Leave it alone?

That sounds like more then enough residual sugar for the bugs to work on, a feeding of maltodextrin probably is t necesarry.

My opinion is let it ride for a few months then take a reading and a taste of course and see where it's at. If you feel it needs a feeding then go right ahead.

I wonder how much you will get out of the lacto without giving it something to eat first. A simple sugar might help it along but personally I wouldn't mess with it until it's dried out and you give it a taste. It might be fine on its own.

ReverseApacheMaster said:
I wonder how much you will get out of the lacto without giving it something to eat first. A simple sugar might help it along but personally I wouldn't mess with it until it's dried out and you give it a taste. It might be fine on its own.

This is what I was wondering. I guess the Brett has around 20 points of gravity to use and the lacto has little to none?

I did end up feeding a tiny little bit. I had it in a keg and transferred it back to a better bottle to free up that corny. I swirled as much of the yeast into suspension as possible before the transfer. With what was left I poured in a quart of 1.037 all-grain starter wort, shook and swirled, and poured that off to an erlenmeyer flash, and sent it for a ride on the stir plate. My Brett pitch was a little old to begin with, so hopefully this will make up for that.

Back