Second stage yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewday2

Reaction score
Planning on brewing 2 batches this weekend and been working on 2 starters. Only have one stir plate though. I'm doing 2 stages for the starters, and the one on the stir plate went as planned. The one that I am shaking went well for the first starter, then the second was very active the first maybe 4 hours and has not done much since. Is it possible that it reached krausen in those first 4 hours since it was already fairly active from the first starter? Or should I give it more time? It's been about 30 hours and seeing no signs of further fermentation. Just tossed it on the stir plate and still nothing.

The only way to know for sure is to check the gravity of the starter. I often have starters ferment out completely with very little visible krausen, for whatever reason. So it's certainly possible it's finished, but just check the gravity so you know for sure.

Back