Second batch recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djaniefer

Reaction score
I'm brand new at homebrewing and working on my second 1 gallon batch. My first batch was an IPA from a complete Brooklyn Brewery kit. However, today I went to my local brew shop and bought the ingredients to brew a cream ale, (per the guidance of the owner's suggestions, since I clearly don't know what I'm doing :)). The nice thing about the kit is that the directions hold your hand throughout the process. This time around, I feel like I'm brewing in the dark. Begging for another pair of eyes.

My ingredients are as follows:

1 lb Rahr Standard 2-row
1 lb Briess Pilsen Malt
1 lb Flaked Corn
1 oz German Hallertau hop pellets
1.5 g Dry Ale yeast (Safale US-05 Fermentis)
5 oz Priming sugar/Dextrose (This is only relevant because I used honey the first time around, so I'll be new to priming sugar).

I have my recipe/directions written out like this:

*MASH
-Boil 2.5 Quarts @ 160 F
-Mash in
1 lb Rahr Standard 2 Row
1 lb Briess Pilsen Malt
8 oz Flaked corn
-Cook for 60 minutes @ 149 F
-Mash out @ 170 F

*SPARGE
-Boil extra 4 Quarts @ 170 F
-Pour over grain, collect 5 Quarts of wort

*BOIL
-Boil wort at 212 F, keep small rolling boil for 60 min.
-Add in
1/4 oz Hallertau @ 60 minutes (start)
1/4 oz Hallertau @ 10 minutes left
1 oz Honey @ 10 minutes left

*FERMENTATION
-Cool to 70 F
-Add to fermentor
-Add ??? grams (maybe 3 quarters of a teaspoon??) of yeast
-Shake until well mixed
-Store at about 65 F for 10 days

*BOTTLING
-Heat 1/2 cup of water in biggest stockpot
-Add 3/4 oz of priming sugar
-Transfer fermented beer to stockpot
-Mix together
-Siphon into bottles
-Store for 2 weeks at 65 F

I need some guidance or reassurance to help me validate my conversions to a 1 gallon batch, ESPECIALLY when it comes to the yeast measurements. I'm sure I've fudged something in the conversions or directions.
SO, questions, comments, suggestions, FYIs, are all absolutely welcomed, encouraged, and begged for!
Just remember, I'm brand spankin' new. I don't have a hydrometer, I'm not trying to hit a target FG, I'm just trying to make sure nothing explodes and that my beer resembles beer! Thanks in advanced.

Back