Seattle Area homebrew club?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurel

Reaction score
There are about 5 in the area that I've found online but only a select few even have websites. I'd like to be able to go to meetings and interact with real brewing people locally but I'm not sure how to gather information regarding these clubs or what ones are "the best." Does anyone have any suggestions? Are you a member? Do you want to help me do my first AG beer in a few weeks?

I'm not familiar with any of the Seattle clubs. I honestly haven't been to a club meeting at my local club over here either even though I get their newsletter every month.

Good luck on your first AG Laurel, seriously it's pretty damn simple.

I can't really offer any helpful advice, because I'm also searching for a homebrew club. I'm probably going to check out the North Seattle Homebrewers because I've met a few folks from that club and it's the closest to me geographically.

They also seem like they are pretty active on their email group list, which is a good sign.

Also, if you haven't brewed your first all grain yet, I could help if you need it.

Has anyone here made it to some meetings? Was thinking about going to the North Seattle Home brew Club meeting, but there isn't much info about what they do or how they go about with the meetings. Just wanna hear about how clubs interact and how the meetings go. North Seattle or Beer Renegades are the two I was thinking about. I would also like to watch an All grain brew day before moving up into it.

I live in North Seattle and am also very interested in getting together with other local brewers. As far as I can tell, whatever local clubs do exist are not terribly active and don't have a very good presence online.

I've gone to a few of their meetings. It's a very laid back, good group of folks. They do meet once a month, usually the first Wednesday. This month it is the 13th. Their meetings basically consist of sampling the homebrews and discussing them, followed by the usual chit chat.

They don't have a website, but rather a yahoo group. You can read the posts/join the club here:

http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/s...1&t=directory&ch=web&pub=groups&sec=dir&slk=3

+1 on the WAHA site. You can at least read about all the clubs and get contact info. http://www.wahomebrewers.org/joomla...ent&task=category&sectionid=5&id=18&Itemid=74
As far as I could tell, two of the more structured in the area are GEBL and Cascade Brewers Guild.

I did a bit of research over the summer and I just recently joined GEBL (Greater Everett Brewers League) I joined them based primarily on two criteria. The first was I went on a club trip with them to the Leavenworth Oktoberfest and I had a great time and really liked the members I met. The second was I looked at the state fair results and they were the dominant ribbon winning presence last year. I was looking for a club that had a healthy competitive structure as I thought that would help drive a continuous improvement in my own brewing. As to a better web site for GEBL, there is a motion before the club now to research cost and tecnical requirements to maintain their own web page, and they plan to host a competition sometime this year. They meet the second Thursday of the month in Everett and their next meeting is coming up on Thurs Jan 14.

I have also heard good things about the North Seattle Brewers, and Brew (Beer Renegades of Everett) although both of those clubs are I believe smaller in size and less structured. I do subscribe to the North Seattle Brewers Yahoo page and they seem to be decent people based on the postings and get togethers.

The best advice is to get to a couple of the meetings from the clubs referenced on the WAHA link (they are free to attend for visitors) and get a feel for the people and the clubs and see where you are comfortable.

Good advice. Thanks all. I stumbled upon north seattle homebrew's facebook page. They listed an address and time for their upcoming meeting. I think I'm going to try and make it out since its really close to me in shoreline. Might try brew next month, I am more laid back and trying to get a handle on brewing and tasting.

I haven't come across this thread until now but there are a lot of great clubs around. It's not always easy to find information on which clubs are located where, what kind of membership they have, if they are technical homebrew geeks, or just beer-loving casual homebrewers, what their meetings are like, etc. The WAHA site has a lot of great information but may need to a description on the clubs so people can find which one would work best for them. I'm sure we can get that remedied sometime soon. It would be great to have a stronger network of local homebrewers, whether they're affiliated with a club or not.

Hi, this is Mark Emiley from the WAHA. We've asked the clubs to submit information on their profiles and only a few really chimed in. I'm going to work on them a bit more this year.

As for "most structured" I'd agree that GEBL and CBG are the most. The Alers have a great club but is a bit more social. I love the North Seattle guys as well. Great dialogues between them and fun meetings. If you are up North, BREW is a great new up and coming club to check out as well.

Anyhow, lots of options!

Cheers,
Mark

Thanks for all the pointers guys. See ya at a meeting and if not I'll post for an informal meet and greet for all us straglers sometime.

Hey Philrose,

I'm an Aler. The meetings are generally very laid-back and social. I'd guess an average meeting has 40-50 people, most of whom bring some homebrew to share and get feedback on. A lot of people also smoke cigars. It's in the back warehouse space so bring a jacket if you come. Definitely say hello if you make it out.

-Brandon

I am a recent member of North Seattle Homebrew Club and have been having a great time at the meetings. Lots of good people and always a great evening tasting different beers. There are usually about 15-25 people and each person brings their latest brew (not a requirement though) to taste. You pretty much say a few words about what you brewed and everybody tastes, there are a few questions/comments and then we move to the next.

The quality of beer is always pretty dang good with some interesting stuff being brewed. If you have never been, you should definitely come, the worst that could happen is that you get some free beer. :)

I know there is an Aler meeting tonight in Kent...I hope I can make it as it would be first as a new member! Prost~!

I know there is an Aler meeting tonight in Kent...I hope I can make it as it would be first as a new member! Prost~!

I'm going to try to make it tonight but Seattle Beer Week has taken a toll so it's about 50/50 right now. Have fun if you go. I'll keep an eye out for that great Mt. Rainier tattoo if I make it. ;)

I am a recent member of North Seattle Homebrew Club and have been having a great time at the meetings. Lots of good people and always a great evening tasting different beers. There are usually about 15-25 people and each person brings their latest brew (not a requirement though) to taste. You pretty much say a few words about what you brewed and everybody tastes, there are a few questions/comments and then we move to the next.

The quality of beer is always pretty dang good with some interesting stuff being brewed. If you have never been, you should definitely come, the worst that could happen is that you get some free beer. :)

Sounds cool. Definitely going to try it.

I'm resurrecting this long-dead thread... ;)

So I just moved to Seattle & just checked out the North Seattle Homebrew Club's Yahoo group, & sent a request. If I'm in the Northgate-ish area, & don't want to get stuck in too much traffic, any other groups you folks might recommend?

Any new groups, or changes to existing ones, in the last 7 years? :D

Stilly Mashers is just a hop up Hwy 9, with most meetings being in Arlington or Marysville. Its a bit of a drive from Woodinville, but I have to throw the invite out!

Anyone know if the Impaling Alers are still around? Their website still says to go to Larry's Brewing Supply for info or to join. I'm new to the area and brewing and was interested in their club but Larry's is closed.

Looks like Impaling Alers is still kicking. Their Facebook page is fairly active and it appears they meet tomorrow (the 18th) at Lake Desire Community Club in Renton.

Anyone know if the Impaling Alers are still around? Their website still says to go to Larry's Brewing Supply for info or to join. I'm new to the area and brewing and was interested in their club but Larry's is closed.
Yes the Alers are still very active. I am the treasurer (official title is "Pillager".) We meet at ~7:00pm on the third Friday of every month. Next meeting is Friday, May 18th. Our dues are $20/yr, you can decide if you want to join after attending a meeting (we won't hit you up at the door.) Love to have you stop by.

Lake Desire Community Clubhouse
18118 172nd Ave SE, Renton, WA 98058

It's best to follow our Facebook page, as our website doesn't get updated as frequently as it should. There is also a zombie website that we don't know how to get rid of as the old webmaster is MIA (you may have stumbled on the zombie site.)

Brew on :mug:

Yes the Alers are still very active. I am the treasurer (official title is "Pillager".) We meet at ~7:00pm on the third Friday of every month. Next meeting is Friday, May 18th. Our dues are $20/yr, you can decide if you want to join after attending a meeting (we won't hit you up at the door.) Love to have you stop by.

Lake Desire Community Clubhouse
18118 172nd Ave SE, Renton, WA 98058

It's best to follow our Facebook page, as our website doesn't get updated as frequently as it should. There is also a zombie website that we don't know how to get rid of as the old webmaster is MIA (you may have stumbled on the zombie site.)

How long do the meeting usually last? And thanks for the info. I was looking at the old website. I'll try to make tomorrow but if not I'll definitely shoot for next month.

The "formal" meeting runs about 1.5 - 2 hrs, but folks tend to hang around (drinking beer naturally) until about 9:30 = 10:00.

I was going to, until I realized I am antisocial, and I never showed up.
Lol, that will do it. Thinking timing vs traffic would be a pain as well. I just looked at the FB page and there are over 90 members? Surely no all at once.

I’m a bit antisocial myself but thought something like this would help ... but I totally get your sentiments.

I’ve been looking for a club on the east side, and there’s some listed on the WA homebrew site, but the email contact form doesn’t seem to work (I at least don’t get an email if I check “email me a copy”). The “brewglers” or “cascade Brewers guild” seem like the closest to me, but brewglers doesn’t seem to have a website and cascade Brewers guild seems to prefer facebook but I don’t have an account :confused: Anyone know if those clubs still meet regularly?

CBG still meets regularly (online anyway) and you can interact with the club via Slack... I don't use FB either. I will PM you a contact email that should work.

Casacde GB is quite active on FB, and likely will be again once everybody can meet in person. Tony (MicroHomebrew in Kenmore) posts updates on a very regular basis

Back