Sealing DIY Tap Tower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrumForHire

Reaction score
A couple years ago, I bought a used kegerator off of Craigslist. It's a nice Kenmore fridge, but the counter top was warped and cracked, and the tower was a simple one-tap with a sanke connection. So, I cut a piece of thick MDF board to replace the top and built a tap tower using the plan HERE. I know a lot of people on here have built the same or similar tower, and I need some advice on improving it.

I've had some problems with ice building up in the fridge. I was suspecting it was getting moisture from the air and after doing a little research confirmed that the most likely culprit is an improper seal. The door seems fine, so I think I need to seal the base of the tower somehow. I figure there are two spots that are probably leaking: one at pipe flange at the base of the tower, and the other between the counter board and the fridge itself. I'm hoping that I can find some kind of gasket that will fit if I slip one underneath the counter and one under the flange, but I'm not having much luck finding something that will fit. Does anyone have experience with this or have suggestions? Thanks!

Another thought, would it help to hook up a temperature controller to the kegerator? It wouldn't control the humidity issue in the fridge, but I'm wondering if I can consistently keep the temperature above 32 degrees F, would that keep the ice from building up? (Plus, it'd give me an excuse to buy a new gadget!)

Pipe insulation and plumbers putty should get your tower sealed up nicely. Shut the door on a dollar bill in several places around the opening. If the bill stays put, your gasket is good. If it slides around, the seal needs some attention. Getting a computer fan in there could help with ice build-up.

Interesting, I didn't think of plumbers putty. It seems like it'd work under the counter well, which is nice because my other idea was to caulk it but wanted to avoid that if possible. However, looking at plumbers putty, it says for stainless steel applications. Would it work between the cast iron tower and the counter?

Interesting, I didn't think of plumbers putty. It seems like it'd work under the counter well, which is nice because my other idea was to caulk it but wanted to avoid that if possible. However, looking at plumbers putty, it says for stainless steel applications. Would it work between the cast iron tower and the counter?

I don't see why not. Otherwise, some gasket sheet would work well. A few bucks at the big orange place should get you where you need to be.

Back