Scum floating on top of RO water collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoellhorn82

Reaction score
1521219707173.jpeg

I have been collecting my ro water the last few days and everytime i do in this seasoned aluminum pot, this scum keeps collecting at the top. Ive been able to collect some in a mesh strainer and it looks white and tastes like nothing. Any ideas what this could be? Fyi i have scrubbed and reseasoned the pot and still scum. Beer always turns out fine. It starts to collect right away so its got to be the pot. None of my other aluminum or ss pots do this

"Seasoned"? or passivated?

What exactly is the layer on the aluminum?

I collect my RO water in stainless, but since RO water is corrosive I don't let it sit for very long.

RO water will leach aluminum. Stainless, 304, food safe plastic, or glass is the only way to safely store RO water and it needs to be covered.

If you want to try a test, take a TDS reading after you have the filtered the water, then let it sit in aluminum, and take a reading again after a week. The reading should be higher.

RO water will leach aluminum. Stainless, 304, food safe plastic, or glass is the only way to safely store RO water and it needs to be covered.

If you want to try a test, take a TDS reading after you have the filtered the water, then let it sit in aluminum, and take a reading again after a week. The reading should be higher.
I decided to ditch the water and recollect in glass

If you have an RO system, a TDS meter is a wise investment. You can monitor your system's effectiveness and determine when you need to replace filters. The handheld meters start at around $15-20.
Ive one and the reading never changed even with more collection of the scum. Im just not going to use the pot for collection anymore

Even a glass full water if left open it gets scum. This is improbably few dust particles setting on top. Looks like scum can not be removed by double mesh tea strainer filters.

Latest posts

Back