Screwed Up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banjoman002

Reaction score
Went to bed last night with a Scottish Ale in the fermenter and 68 degrees on its thermometer...Since it was in an unheated area of the house, I put my fermheater on, and set my controller to come on at 65 and off at 68. Or at least I thought I did. 6:30 this A.M. (before coffee) I checked it to find the temp at 80 degrees and copious foam blowing out the top...I put the fermenter outside...(ambient temp 40 degrees) and after a couple hours got the mash temp down to 65 with a slight amount of foam coming out the airlock. Am I screwed?
Yeast was Nottingham, 1 liter starter, pitched at 70 degrees. My fermenter is a conical so I was able to dump some trub. Don't know if that would make a difference or not.

Rich

It seems like the yeast was doing it's thing.
Let it go and see if there are any off flavors.
I'll bet it's fine.
I bet you double check the temperature settings next time too!

Unfortunately, nottingham gets pretty foul above 70 degrees, but maybe it wasn't fermenting long enough to have that much of a flavor impact.

I almost always cool my wort to 60 or so before pitching nottingham, as it's really better under about 64 degrees.

Back