Screwed up with the air lock.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WatsonAle

Reaction score
So me and my mates are brand new to brewing, and yesterday started our first batch. Did everything basically right, but one of my mates lost the air lock and we didnt think it was that important. We have since discovered it is, but by the time we got a new one on, it had been without one for a day and a night.

Is the beer rooted?

99% chance it's fine, especially if you stored it in a relatively clean area (without particles flying all over).

Time will tell. Are you using an ale pale or a carboy?

Honestly not sure, like I said, brand new to the brewing game and we just used one of my mates dads old fermenters.

And it's not super clean, it is sitting inside an upright esky inside my mates back shed, which isnt exactly clean. We are considering ditching it and just starting a new one tomorrow. Advice?

Wait it out, worst case you lose the fermenter for 2-3 weeks and get piss water. Best (most likely) case you get a perfectly fine beer. It should be plenty fine since it's in a cooler. Make sure it stays around 60-70F.

Ale Pail = bucket
carboy = big glass jar
Better Bottle = plastic water jug

If you're REALLY worried about it not turning out, go to a Local Home Brew Store (or a Home Depot, make sure it's type 2 plastic) and buy a bucket and start a second batch. You'll be out a extra 5-15$ vs dumping it, but this way you're almost guaranteed beer.

DO NOT DUMP

Ah okay, sounds like what we're using is a better bottle. At the moment the temperature is pretty good for brewing, and it's not a huge deal considering we have other fermenters to use.
Thanks alot for your help.

Your beer may be fine. Hopefully nothing nasty in the air was able to drop in the primary. Sounds like you have the equipment and the means to do another batch or two while you wait this one out.

Chalk it up as a learning experience.

Back