Screwed up my hop schedule, can I save it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerg_burglar

Reaction score
I'm brewing a milkshake IPA, I'm using Citra and Azacca hops. I was supposed to use 2 oz of each at flameout/whirlpool, but mistakenly put 1oz each. I was going to use 1oz of each to dry hop at 4 days and 10 days. Can I just use 1.5 oz of each for each dry hop? I know my IBU's will be lower, but will it make that much of a difference?

ninja edit: I did not add any hops during the boil - similar to a NEIPA.

Last edited:
I'm brewing a milkshake IPA, I'm using Citra and Azacca hops. I was supposed to use 2 oz of each at flameout/whirlpool, but mistakenly put 1oz each. I was going to use 1oz of each to dry hop at 4 days and 10 days. Can I just use 1.5 oz of each for each dry hop? I know my IBU's will be lower, but will it make that much of a difference?

You can try to recreate what those whirlpool hops would have experienced, but in water, then add the resulting hop tea to the fermenter. If it's done fermenting, make sure you boil the water first for a while to drive out the oxygen. Or maybe you should do that regardless.

Of course, adding hop tea to the fermenter will dilute things, so you want to use as little water as possible that will still do the job (unless you were lucky enough to overshoot your OG, in which you case you could kill two birds with one stone). Someone else can probably help with the details if you go this route. I've read about it but haven't yet done it myself.

How big is your batch?

Your probably looking at a difference of only 8'ish IBU's since your only hop addition was at flame out your IBU's would be very low to begin with provided you chilled your beer quickly. I would dry hop as normal for your first dry hop and double the hops on your second dry hop to compensate.

Latest posts

Back