screwed up beer laws

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oregon [AKA beervana] has two really annoying laws. All bottled (and most kegs) alcoholic beverages are required to go through distributers. This is called the three-tier law. Makes for a nice fat profit of the distributers for d@mn-all and jacks the prices up for everyone. Really hurts the small operators. The other amazed me. You have to fill out four pages of paperwork to buy a keg, then they put a tracking number on it! In theory, the blue-noses know exactly who has purchased kegs, how many and when.

Another involves getting bottle labels approved. Mark at Golden Valley explained this to me once, but as I was sampling his Black Panther Imperial Stout and making comparisons between the pre-aged and the merlot cask-aged and the bottled and ... I forget. But, the point was, it was such a hassle to get labels approved that sometimes he just sells unlabeled bottles at the brewery.

No wonder there are so many brewpubs.

mmditter said:
In Wisconsin we have some of the least restrictive beer and liquor laws around, but that does not mean we are immune to some dumb ones. Not too many years ago they decided that no take-out liquor could be sold after 9 P.M. (you can still drink it in a bar or restaurant after 9. You just can't buy it and take it with you). Now, how that helps anyone is beyond me.

Where I live (Milwaukee) some of the suburbs allow supermarkets to have liquor departments right in the store, while other neighboring suburbs make them have a separate liquor store with it's own entrance (apparently a person is much less likely to become an alcoholic if they have to put their groceries in their car and then go back into the store to buy their liquor).

Being from MKE originally I remember all these rules. The 9p thing was so stupid but you could still purchase from a bar if they offered. So, what's the 9p take-out changed to (for my next family visit so I know).

In AR, we have a new keg registration law (in additional to our plethora of ridiculous alchohol laws which I won't go into). It is meant to ensure kegs don't get into the hands of minors, but due to the idiocy of our legislature, not only does it fail at its goal, it also makes everyone a criminal under the law.

It requires additional deposits for a keg and the keg has to be tagged with registration paperwork that shows who bought it and where from. The problem is that the paperwork that is attached is attached with a plastic zip tie, so if you bought a keg for a minor, you would just cut it off.

Additionally, the law makes it illegal for anyone to have an unregistered keg. Not a bad idea, but the law goes on to define a keg as any vessel which may hold 5 gallons or more of liquid. The definition of keg has nothing to do with its purpose being to hold beer or alcohol. Therefore, everyone with a gas tank, water heater, bathtub, etc. has now violated the act by possessing an unlicensed keg. Thank you legislature and MADD.

In Minnesota, a liquor store can't be open on sundays or after 8pm Mon-Wed. But, you can go to a resturant, buy a bottle of wine with dinner (Hell, buy three bottles) have one sip out of the bottle and then take it home, as late as you like and on any day of the week.

The majority of the population in MN lives within 40 minutes of the Wisconsin border, most less than 20 minutes. In Minnesota you can't buy booze on a Sunday, and the tobacco taxes are now something like %80, but in Wisconsin you can buy liquor any day of the week, and tobacco is still reasonable.

Ridiculous.

The whole "old enough to die for your country, you should be able to drink" argument seems really asinine to me.

The two things don't have any relationship. The same logic could be applied to anything.

If you're old enough to die for your country, you should be allowed to shoot smack.

If you're old enough to kill for your country abroad, you should be allowed to kill at home, too.

it doesn't add up.

That whole argument came from VOTING AGE injustices. As in, if you're old enough to be sent to die, you should be allowed to choose the leaders who may or may not send you to war.

That's a relevant connection. The drinking age may be silly, but faulty logic isn't going to change anybody's mind.

/edit Didn't see a delete mode and decided that arguing about this wasn't worth the effort. -Kob

FilJos said:
The majority of the population in MN lives within 40 minutes of the Wisconsin border, most less than 20 minutes. In Minnesota you can't buy booze on a Sunday, and the tobacco taxes are now something like %80, but in Wisconsin you can buy liquor any day of the week, and tobacco is still reasonable.

Ridiculous.

Because I thought the reverse was true on the tobacco tax issue, I looked it up.

according to the Minnesota House of Reps website, MN imposes a 48 cent tax on a pack of smokes (20 units per pack). Per the WI Dept of Revenue website, WI charges 77 cents per.

http://www.dor.state.wi.us/faqs/ise/cigar.html#cig4
http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/issinfo/sscigtax.htm

On another note: tax rate on beer in Wisconsin is $2 per 31 gallon barrel. http://www.dor.state.wi.us/faqs/#alcohol

Minnesota was more complicated having both an excise tax and an increased sales tax rate. After putting around for 15 minutes trying to figure out an side by side comparison I saw a chart on this page: http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/issinfo/ssalbvtx.htm#Q5

*shrug* For what that's worth. A half hour of web searches and some noodling as I waited for water to boil (for tea, not beer).

PS-- the Arkansaw law actually requires the registration of kegs for off site consumption. Kegs are any 4 gallon or lager container. It's the off site consumption that makes a difference---- that's why your bathtub is not required to be registered--- unless you intent to fill it with beer so that someone can take it off-site to drink the beer.

kornkob said:
PS-- the Arkansaw law actually requires the registration of kegs for off site consumption. Kegs are any 4 gallon or lager container. It's the off site consumption that makes a difference---- that's why your bathtub is not required to be registered--- unless you intent to fill it with beer so that someone can take it off-site to drink the beer.

Wrong. Ark. Code Ann. 3-5-227(a)(2) defines keg as a vessel which has a liquid capacity of four gallons (4 gals.) or more.

Ark. Code Ann. 3-5-227(h)(2) states that "Any person other than the retail dealer, licensed wholesaler, or an agent of the Alcoholic Beverage Control Enforcement Division that is knowingly in possession of a keg without an identification label or tag . . . is guilty of a violation of this subchapter."

Therefore anyone who possesses a 'keg' as defined by the act is guilty under the chapter. There is no reference to off-premises consumption in the definition of that violation.

Understood, but the law also specifies the point at which the registration tag must be affixed.

(4) Identification tags shall be attached to the kegs at the time of sale with nylon ties or cording, wire ties or other metal attachment devices, or another durable means of tying or attaching the tag to the keg.

So--- no sale, no registration.

kornkob said:
Because I thought the reverse was true on the tobacco tax issue, I looked it up.

according to the Minnesota House of Reps website, MN imposes a 48 cent tax on a pack of smokes (20 units per pack). Per the WI Dept of Revenue website, WI charges 77 cents per.

http://www.dor.state.wi.us/faqs/ise/cigar.html#cig4
http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/issinfo/sscigtax.htm

On another note: tax rate on beer in Wisconsin is $2 per 31 gallon barrel. http://www.dor.state.wi.us/faqs/#alcohol

Minnesota was more complicated having both an excise tax and an increased sales tax rate. After putting around for 15 minutes trying to figure out an side by side comparison I saw a chart on this page: http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/hrd/issinfo/ssalbvtx.htm#Q5

True. The tobacco tax is higher in Wisconsin. But in Minnesota we have a "fee" on top of the tax and we Minnesotan's are smart enough to call a spade a spade.

I do not believe that the webpage cited regarding cigarette taxes takes into account the tobacco "fee" of 2005. The "fee" raises the price of non-cigarette tobacco products by another %35 on top of the current %35. So a Cigar that costs $10 when it crosses state lines, costs you $17 at the tobacconist. The "fee" also raises the "tax" per pack of cigarettes another $0.75 to $1.23. The "fee" took effect on Aug. 1.

Also, I never stated that Wisconsin booze taxes were less, only that you could buy it on sundays and that the majority of the Minnesota population lives close to the border with Wisconsin, so all that is really happening is that the liquor stores in Superior and Hudson are making a killing every sunday.

kornkob said:
Understood, but the law also specifies the point at which the registration tag must be affixed.

(4) Identification tags shall be attached to the kegs at the time of sale with nylon ties or cording, wire ties or other metal attachment devices, or another durable means of tying or attaching the tag to the keg.

So--- no sale, no registration.

Right, but the fact that there is no possibility to get it registered doesn't mean that the violation hasn't occurred. The problem is in the way the legislature has worded the violation.

Hey-- maybe I'm wrong but when I read the full text of that law it seemed pretty clear to me that there was a point at which a keg needed to be registered and that involved the point of sale for off premise consumption.

*shrug*

No, Swervo Maneuver, it makes perfect sense. If you are old enough to fight in a war, then you are old enough to be treated like an adult. That is where the "old enough to buy booze", etc, comes into it, because those arguments come into play.

Also... for the off-premesis consumption. Sounds like those 7 gallon camping water containers are technically considered a keg...

Maybe... I tend to think that the word legislative just means idiocy anyway. <smiles> For example... I just expect that, when looking the word legislative up in the dectionary, I will find the following:

legislative
Pronunciation: 'le-j&s-"lA-tiv
Function: adjective
1: An act of using your pen, instead of opening your mouth, and removing all doubt that you are an idiot, while at the same time imposing your act of idiocy on others.

cowain said:
It requires additional deposits for a keg and the keg has to be tagged with registration paperwork that shows who bought it and where from. The problem is that the paperwork that is attached is attached with a plastic zip tie, so if you bought a keg for a minor, you would just cut it off.

We have a similar registration law here in NY. However if the keg is missing the tag you don't get your deposit back. The deposit runs close to twice the cost of the keg. This prices the kids out of buying kegs.

Hey billybrew,
I am a homebrewer/beer lover in Edmond, OK.
I saw your posting about stupid Oklahoma Beer laws.
I want to do something to change them.
Of course no one can do it alone but I want to see if there is something that can be done on a grass roots level. I want to try to get all the breweries in Oklahoma envolved if possible. There aren't that many as you know. From what I understand, It would take an amendment to the Oklahoma State constitution which would be no easy task.
Extremely difficult but not impossible. It would have to pass the vote of the people. But it takes a group of people willing to do something about it to get it to that point. How can we get this started? Ideas? suggestions?

Walker said:
We have this forbidden liquid that we can't consume.... We wait and wait and wait and wait for our 21st birthday. When it finally arrives....?

We binge drink and get totally hammered. -walker

Who's waiting? :cool:

When I visited Toronto there are government beer stores (no beer in supermarkets) where there's a list of beers on a bit billboard and you have to choose which beer you want from that and then the store employee will go and get it for you.

Here in Korea there's pretty much no beer laws at all except for ones against drunk driving and having to be 19 Korean age (either 17 or 18 western age depending on how close you birthday is to Lunar New Year) to buy it...

Now I'm going back to when I grew up in the Sixties in Jersey City, NJ. You couldn't buy beer or liquor (they called it package goods) after 10PM. But you could buy draft beer in quart cardboard containers for 50 cents at the bars. I used to go to the bar across the street from the school yard where we hung out and the first hot day of the year everyone was outside drinking containers (known in JC as "tainers"). Also in Jersey City at that time, women were not allowed in the bars unless it had a separate back room. There was literally a bar on every corner and everyone had there own bar where they hung out. I often wondered what the girls were doing when we were in the bars. Now most of the neighborhood bars are gone and women are allowed in what remains. They call this progress?

They don't restrict much here in AUS. As a matter of fact, they have drive thru liquor stores.

I have had many quiet ales at the "Kingston Hotel" in that video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back