Screwdriver bolt for Corona Mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksosh

Reaction score
Hi all,
So I picked up a Corona (Grizzly) mill for AG, and I've read threads where the handle screw was replaced with some type of drill bit. I'm wondering if anyone has a part number for lowes/hd for what i'd be looking for (or at least a general description of it), or if you had to special order it from someplace. I've searched, but can't seem to find a part number.
Thanks!

yeah I think the threads are 5/16". I got a hex head(like alen wrench) for it so it doesn't slip. Square deck head and a standard 6 sided bolt would work well to. Avoid the straight and Phillips heads.

It's metric.

It's close to 5/16", but metric. I don't remember the exact size, but take the original handle bolt to the hardware store and you'll get it right.

Also, file the area on the spindle where the rotating disk sits so that the disk is perpendicular to the shaft. Replace the cotter pin with an 8/32" bolt.

Once you have the right bolt, you can remove the head and put it into the drill directly, or some leave the bolt intact and power the mill w/ a socket and adapter on the drill.

1st photo in the link below shows it pretty well. FWIW I prefer ACE Hardware or a hardware store for small nuts and bolts. You walk up to the counter, hand the guy the mill shaft and he finds you the right bolt...at HD they may be in sealed packages,

Alright, got the hex bolt (5/16 size, 3" long), cut off the head with my 'junior hacksaw' (who knew it could actually do crap like cut through metal bolts??), and now I've got an automated corona mill! Works pretty well, though I have to be careful to keep the trigger pressure down or grain goes everywhere. Combined with my 3 gallon water job hopper, I can easily do 10 pounds of grain in less than 5 minutes!

Anyway, thanks again to everyone's comments/links/etc!

I just took the thumbscrew that holds the handle on to the hardware store, used it to make sure I got the right size/ thread, and got the appropriate bolt (it's metric, maybe .128 pitch, but don't quote me) with a 13mm head. For my Corona install, it's about 2.5". I already had the socket and drill adaptor, so there was little expense here. This works like a charm, and I don't see why anyone would need to fool with taps / retapping / etc.

I had all the stuff on hand to do this install (except for bolt mentioned above), which has been cheap (mill was $24 delivered from Discount Tommy on eBay) and follows my K.I.S.S. philosophy of brewing. Here are the pix from the classic "Ugly Junk" thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-ugly-junk-corona-mill-station-90849/index21.html#post1408147

Latest posts

Back