Scratching my head over cold crashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadrol

Reaction score
Ok, here's my dilemma...I have about a gallon and a half that is going to probably be at the SG I'm shooting for tomorrow morning so I want to cold crash it. It is in a 6 1/2 gallon fermenting bucket which I plan on sticking in the fridge to crash. My question is this: do I leave the airlock on it since it is still fermenting or take off the airlock and cork it? At around 40 degrees how long does it usually take for the yeast to fall out so I can rack off the lees into a carboy?

I've never really thought a lot about the leave airlock in or take it out question. I've just left it in for no other reason than laziness mainly lol, I just never thought about it and left it in. You can figure while its cooling fermentation is going to slow but still be going so still releasing CO2, and since cold crashing doesnt completely stop it, just brings it to a near standstill slow pace leaving it in seems logical. In my experience it happens pretty quick, seems almost overnight so I'd guess a 24-48 hour stay in the cooler should do it. What do you use for racking, I got an autosiphon, it's number two behind hydrometer as my suggested equipment to anyone getting started in mead making. It leaves virtually all the lees behind with minimal fluid loss, and it's easy as hell, the capped bottom keeps it up and out of the gross stuff.

If you are using a 3 piece airlock and have excess fluid in it that fluid will get sucked into your wine.. If you take just enough fluid out as to cover the vent holes in the bobber or barely above the bottom if no vent holes.. "S" style airlock won't suckback.. Most just cover with aluminum foil when cold crashing.. I would go 48 hours minimum for a cold crash :mug:

I have an autosiphon, too; I figured, hey...spend the extra few bucks so I don't have flashbacks of sucking on the tube and getting a mouthful of gasoline haha

I have a 3 piece airlock so I'll take a look at it and see which way it's vented; thanks for the info, guys...just checked my SG and it's at 1.018 so I betcha by this evening I'll be stunning those little boogers.

Back