Scratches in Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgilbert

Reaction score
Hi,

I was cleaning my fermentation bucket with my bottle brush after an oxi-clean soak. After the bucket dried I could see at the bottom of the bucket, there were some scratches. I'm assuming they're from the metal end of the bottle brush. I was wondering if the bucket is shot now because of the scratches. I've read about scratches allowing bacteria to hide and grow but I wasn't sure if these scratches were deep enough to worry about. Thanks for any feedback.

IMG_20131109_084337.jpg

IMG_20131109_084407.jpg

Hi,

I was cleaning my fermentation bucket with my bottle brush after an oxi-clean soak. After the bucket dried I could see at the bottom of the bucket, there were some scratches. I'm assuming they're from the metal end of the bottle brush. I was wondering if the bucket is shot now because of the scratches. I've read about scratches allowing bacteria to hide and grow but I wasn't sure if these scratches were deep enough to worry about. Thanks for any feedback.

Better to be safe than sorry and get a new bucket. Why risk all of your beer for a few dollars.

▲ Agreed. I have 6 buckets and have had 2 infections in the last 3 months. Scratched bucket was the culprit

Back