Scratch in Bottling Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrgrimm101

Reaction score
So I bottled my milk stout yesterday and was cleaning equipment when I noticed there is a small gouge/scratch in the side of the bucket. Of course I noticed it AFTER I bottled the whole batch.

Should I replace the bucker, or is it not as big of a deal since its a bottling bucket and I don't use it as a fermenting vessel?

View attachment 1424086074671.jpg

Lets do a cost/benefit analysis. A bottling bucket costs less than $20, a batch of beer costs $25 to as much as $50 (extract kit prices). If your scratched bucket gets you one infected batch that turns out undrinkable or causes bottle bombs and you lose 2 cases of bottles (another $25), wouldn't it make economic sense to replace the bucket before any of that should happen?

:( yes.. I just didnt know if the risk was minimized because its a bottling bucket and not a fermenting vessel..were it a primary I would replace it instantly.

I would keep it....wash it well, bleach- or Starsan-bomb it, and keep it to store dry brewing hardware in (brew spoons, funnels, capper, hydrometer, bag o' caps, airlocks, siphon/blowoff tubes, whatever asorted non perishable brewing stuff you use that might fit. Extra empty buckets are good to have, even if not trustworthy for actual fermenting in... :) I do that and I also use another retired one to haul stuff up from my basement mead storage station" to the kitchen when making a batch.....plastic buckets are great things, heck you can use 'em for soapy water when washing your car or dogs, can use 'em to hold paint when painting a room, they sky's the limit, almost....I wouldn't ferment anything in it, but then again, that's just me...

Yea I could repurpose it as just a bucket..but it still would need a spigot or something to plug that hole.. and it sounds like I should replace it regardless

I'd go ahead & get a new one with a gouge like that.

Yea that's what I have planned. I'm pretty sure they're under $10 at my LHBS. I just wish I knew if the gouge was there BEFORE or AFTER I used it yesterday to bottle with.

O well, here goes to not worrying. :tank:

Well, as long as it was cleaned, rinsed & sanitized it should be OK. But getting a new one won't cost as much price wise. No worries after that about what if.:mug:

I'd "repurpose" the bucket too, and just get a new one.

I'd also put all the bottles in a couple big, plastic totes with lids for the carbing/aging process. End all the worry about a mess from bombs...

What is the life cycle of primary fermenting buckets that are well cared for?

I used to use buckets for primaries, but I got a 6.5 gallon plastic Big Mouth Bubbler a few months ago and have been using that exclusively. I have a couple extra 6.5 gallon buckets sitting around, but none that have a spigot hole drilled out. I'll have to go buy a new bottling bucket it seems.

If it were a minor scratch, I wouldn't worry too much. That's a fairly large chunk of bucket missing, though. I'd replace it personally.

Take care of the buckets, clean them with soft cloths or the like, rinse & sanitize & they'll last a long time. I'm still using the plastic fermenter I started with.

Im usually very careful with my equipment..I honestly have no idea how this gouge got there.

Slightly off topic, but I was cleaning my plastic big mouth bubbler and I noticed these scratches on the very bottom. It seems that when I soaked it in cleanser after bottling, I put the autosiphon and cane in it and they must have scratched the bottom :(

View attachment 1424134169427.jpg

I get my buckets free. But I still try to take care of them. I have found that using 100% cotton cloth and PBW seems to work just fine getting them clean while remaining scratch free. If I found a scratch, I don't think I'd ferment with 'em. Bottling is probable not an issue, but your call. After all, it's your brewery. Cheers.

Im super bummed about my big mouth bubbler. Replacing a $10 bottling bucket isnt a big deal. A $40 carboy (while still not a bunch of money) is a little worse. I might just use it and see what happens..it seems to be just a couple shallow surface scratches

I recently had a couple of acetobacter infections that I traced to my bottling operation. Bucket, spigot and bottling wand were all 2+ years old. Even though I clean and sanitize up the wazoo, general wear and tear means an accumulation of scratches big and small. Each one is a potential bacteria hiding place. I replaced them all. Cheap insurance against tossing a bad batch. Check out the post below.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/sad-sad-sight-515944/

For the bucket, I would definitely replace that - presuming the gouge is below the liquid level when bottling.
Still keep it around - for emergencies as well as other general purposes.
For that big mouth bubbler, I wouldn't worry too much, just sanitize extra well before use.

Back