Scottish ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aclockworkblue

Reaction score
I brewed a Scottish ale that's very peaty. Any recommendations? I was thinking of back sweetening with some honey. Any other things you might think would help?

aclockworkblue said:
I brewed a Scottish ale that's very peaty. Any recommendations? I was thinking of back sweetening with some honey. Any other things you might think would help?

I'm assuming you used peated malt? Aging will mellow it out a little or blend it with another beer.

Yeah, I followed a recipe online but it was way too much for my taste. I've never used it before

Age, as stated above. Or start drinking lots of Laphroaig. Then your beer won't taste so peaty.

Why do some people insist upon adding peated malt to Scottish ales? Are there really any beers brewed in Scotland that use peated malt? I don't think I've ever encountered any.

Heather tips would help, as would honey. But time will not totally strip the peat out.

If you really hate it, I would try to blend it with another brew as mentioned above, or spice the hell out of it to cover the peat. Both of which are relatively easy to do.

Latest posts

Back