Scottish Ale Yeast Lag Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanzerOfDoom

Reaction score
Brewed a Poor Richard's Ale for the "Big Brew" last Saturday; smacked a Wyeast Scottish Ale 1728 on Friday to make a starter, nothing, package did not rise a bit. Went ahead and pitched it into a starter on Sat. morning. During the "Big Brew" purchased another pack, smacked it got a bit of rise and pitched it after wort was cooled. Waited until Monday afternoon not a single bubble in the airlock so I pitched the starter I had made earlier and hit it with my degass whip and stirred the crap out of the wort and went to work.
Came home in the morning the stopper and airlock were gone and the carboy was doing the valcano into my swamp cooler, rigged up a blow off and it is still going strong.

Anyone else have trouble with a slow starting 1728?

If you smack a pac and it doesn't swell, the pac was probably overheated at some point. I've had two bad pacs, neither 1728. One I took back and got a replacement, the other time I didn't bother, just tossed in some Nottingham.

PanzerOfDoom said:
Anyone else have trouble with a slow starting 1728?

You've got to look at the manufacturing date printed on the package. Add one day of 'swelling time' allowance for every month since manufacture.

This applies to all smack packs, not just 1728.

Back