Scotsman in Hobart

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibby33

Reaction score
Hi,
Due to the fact that there are not many nice beers here in Tasmania (and the ones that are here are a bit pricey - although very good) I have started to brew my own beer with the hope that I can recreate some of my favourites :

Orkney Dark Island
Theaksons Old Peculuir
Guinness
+50 others...

have been experimenting with kits and adding different hops and things to see what results I can obtain. Looking good so far, just the time that I have to wait before drinking is an issue!

David

Welcome to the forum, David. Do you have easy access to malted grains, hops, and brewer's yeast? I'm guessing you must, else you wouldn't be able to homebrew at all.

Can you get decently priced kits down there or raw supplies? Any home brew stores?

Assuming you can get the raw materials, you should be able to brew better beer than you can buy, once you get the hang of it. No matter what, it's a great hobby, and hopefully you can actually save money on it compared to buying beer.

And yes, the waiting is the hardest part. That just means you need to have a couple of primaries and a couple of secondaries, and you have to brew every couple of weeks!

beer4breakfast said:
Welcome to the forum, David. Do you have easy access to malted grains, hops, and brewer's yeast? I'm guessing you must, else you wouldn't be able to homebrew at all.

Can you get decently priced kits down there or raw supplies? Any home brew stores?

Assuming you can get the raw materials, you should be able to brew better beer than you can buy, once you get the hang of it. No matter what, it's a great hobby, and hopefully you can actually save money on it compared to buying beer.

And yes, the waiting is the hardest part. That just means you need to have a couple of primaries and a couple of secondaries, and you have to brew every couple of weeks!
There is a good home brew shop 15 min walk where I work (check out their web page : http://www.thbs.intas.net/ ) They are good and if you have a problem or question I just e-mail them or walk up. They have some good recipes on the site.
The cost is okay - about $25 to make about two cartons - better than $40 just for one carton Cascade draught (my fav lolly water).

Waiting is an issue - brewing one just now called "Ye Olde Ripper". Basically a barley wine and is expected to come out at 12%. It is recommended to store bottles for 12 months. Not sure how that is going to pan out!!!

I have made five brews in the last couple of months

Guiness
Cascade Spicy Ghost Draught (x2)
Cascade Golden Harvest
Murtons Stout

Not sure what to make next - may go for a chocolate stout (http://www.thbs.intas.net/kit_recipes.htm#SIMPLY CHOCOLATE)

Either that or a nice chilli lager :)

Also have plans to build a cool room in my cellar for the long term storage. Beers are definetely better when left for a good long time - had some in bottles for over two years and they are / were very drinkable :)

What type of PaleAle are you going for?

homebrewer_99 said:
Welcome! With summer coming on you should be getting into some good ales.:D
Cheers,
Have a few lagers bottled and they will get to about 3 months prior to them being sent into battle! Stouts are going to be for winter (winter warmer on the cards - as I said to BeerForBreakfast - maybe a chocolate stout)

How did the pumpkin ale taste? My wife loves pumpkin!

David

bump. just wandered what my first thread was!
Damn I need to start brewing again! Pumpkin on the cards after nearly three years :)

Man, the thread title sounds like an Ice Machine in Indiana.

true, there are a lot of machines out there with HOBART stamped on the side of them :)

i think this is the correct link. http://www.hobartfood.com.au

...My Uncle Jack (RIP) dragged me into a kitchen in Paisley Abbey during a beer festival (CAMBRA - he was basically running it) and making me clean glasses for an hour just because the machine was HOBART and I was just about to move to Hobart, before showing me how to pour beer correctly and then putting me behind the bar. Bar was nice btw, about 200 barrels all lined up. Funny bloke. still miss him. After he died Houston brewery produced an ale in memory of him (red blazer I think it was called) and all the profits went to charity.

Houston brewery : www.foxandhoundshouston.co.uk

as he would have wanted : :ban: :tank: :D :p

Back