Scotch ale, too pale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lionofjudah

Reaction score
Just cracked the first scotch ale of the batch, bottled six days ago. I used a brewers best kit from the local brew store. It turned out well, but i seem to remember the scotch ales iv'e had to be a bit darker, whereas mine is a slightly more amber hue. Any suggestions for how i might darken it up next time around?

An ounce or two of Roasted Barley generally do the trick. You'll get a nice red color. Go easy on it, though; much more than four ounces in five gallons not only makes it too dark, it also adds roasted-malt flavor, which is objectionable in Scottish Ales of any type.

Cheers!

Bob

Pull some of the first runnings into a separate pot and boil the crap out of it. That will darken the beer and add a nice caramel flavor.

9. SCOTTISH AND IRISH ALE

9A. Scottish Light 60/-
9B. Scottish Heavy 70/-
9C. Scottish Export 80/-
9D. Irish Red Ale
9E. Strong Scotch Ale (Also known as a Wee Heavy)

And yes...much of the coloring and unique flavor of Scoth Ales comes from extended boil times to achieve caramelization.

lionofjudah I have a Brewer's Best Scotch Ale 7 days in the primary right now. I also believed it to be really pale when I took a reading. How long did you have yours in the primary? After seven days mine had thick krausen on the top as if still in fermentation and the gravity was almost near start (1.045 at best.) I believe this to be low temperatures as I used WL WLP028. Perhaps sluggish? I did this one at a friends house and I think he keeps his thermostat below optimum temperatures.

I brewed up a batch of the Scotch Ale from Brewer's Best and it turned out great tasting and here's a picture of it:

IMG_0262.jpg

Back