Scotch Ale tastes...sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s2cmpugh

Reaction score
Good day everyone. I have two batches, scotch ale and boggingtons pub clone, that have been bottled for about 3-4 weeks now, but I'm a bit concerned. When originally bottled the temp was around 62-63 for the first 2 weeks I guess, then I put them in an area that was 70 plus and gave them a quick flip. I purchased the ingredients in a kit from the LHBS. I tried a scotch ale today, and while it was carbed, it wasn't very much and no head retention. It also tasted a bit sour to me compared to other scotch ales I've had from bars. The BP clone has the same carb issue, but does taste a bit better.

I felt like I mixed the priming sugar well and no signs of any infection. Fermentation temps were around the mid 60's.

I'm starting to realize a pattern here, I've brewed 3 kit batches from them (Bava. Hefe, scotch ale, PB clone, and currently have a cream ale in the primary) and they all haven't tasted anywhere as good as my pumpkin spice I created or my Vanilla Oat Stout I just bottled.

Am I doing something wrong here????

How much corn sugar did you carb with? The scotch ale style is supposed to have low carbonation (around 1.5 volumes).

I honestly don't remember, I'm guessing 5oz. I can't find the instruction sheet anywhere for the scotch ale.

Sounds like the beer is still green. I bottle condition a lil big warmer. I bring the covered boxes into kitchen ~70 degrees for about 3 weeks. Then store in cool closet until conditioned.

I've had friends try to condition in a cool area not taking into account the evening cooling. Cool overnight conditions, took forever to carb.

Remember carbed does not always mean ready;)

I lost the recipe sheet, but it was from my LHBS.

I'll wait it out longer and see how they turn out. It does have a sort of green apple taste to it.

Back