Scoby rather than yeast to make cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregsatt

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Could I take some of a scoby and drop it into a carboy with apple juice, then put an air lock on it to make hard cider? (rather than using yeast specifically for brewing cider)

I searched and saw some threads about cider and kombucha but couldn't find a thread where someone simply used a scoby instead of yeast to make a nice alcoholic cider.

Thanks,
Greg

SCOBYs don't typically produce a lot of alcohol, so I suspect the end result would be more akin to apple cider vinegar than "a nice alcoholic cider". Could make for an interesting experiment though. Apple booch?

Thanks for the advice. I wasn't aware that a SCOBY didn't product much alcohol. I guess if it did I'd probably be a little buzzed all the time from all the kombucha I make and drink :tank:

Maybe I'll do an experiment with a half gallon of apple juice and a SCOBY to see how it turns out.

SCOBYs don't typically produce a lot of alcohol, so I suspect the end result would be more akin to apple cider vinegar than "a nice alcoholic cider". Could make for an interesting experiment though. Apple booch?

The bacteria are primarily aerobic. If you ferment with an airlock, they will be somewhat suppressed and the yeast will dominate.
I have a batch going right now w/out an airlock, as I want it to be vinegar. It went alcoholic first, with a light tartness, but now it's getting more vinegary. It'll be 2 weeks this sunday.

Back