Scoby question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

je52rm

Reaction score
So I just scored a scoby for free from an awesome girl named Ann that works at a local health food store. The scoby she gave me is kinda thin looking. I was wondering if the size of the scoby determines how big a batch of booch I can make? I want to make a gallon batch but don't wanna risk the health of the scoby. It's in about 6 fl. oz. of booch that she stored it in. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my HTC One X using Home Brew mobile app

1388516337228.jpg

SCOBY size is irrelevant. What matters most is how much starter solution you have. General recommendation is 8oz starter / gallon batch. The pellice (SCOBY) is not a requirement, and if didn't have one, the new batch will create one for you.
If you don't have at least 8oz of starter, you will need to make a smaller batch, let it sour, then make a bigger one, before you'll be able to brew a gallon.
Looks like you have less than 8oz, including scoby displacement. So let's assume you have 4oz (1/2 cup) of liquid. If you can, check the pH of what you have. If its below pH 3.5 you can use that to make a half gallon. Let that sit for 1-2 weeks at about 24°C (~75°F) or until the pH is below 3.5. Then use that whole amount to make your gallon with.
If the pH of the brew is too high, you'll risk molding. You'll want start fermentation below pH 6.0.

I use 1L of pH ~3.20 starter per 3L volume.
3L batch starts out at around pH 5.50 and ends at around pH 3.2 in 7-8 days @ 24°C

Awesome thanks KYT! After reading a lot of your threads I was hoping u would be the one to chime in with good info.

Sent from my HTC One X using Home Brew mobile app

Most welcome! Keep us posted on your progress.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Home Brew mobile app

Back