A newbie with tons of questions - hope you don't mind!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brie

Reaction score
Hello!:)

I'm new into kombucha brewing world and I've got some questions. I'll be getting the scoby from an acquaintance, but I'm not sure if she's going to give me the liquid starter as well. Is it possible to brew kombucha without adding the starter tea? I've heard that the purpose of adding it is to acidify the tea, almost like a shortcut of the fermentation process and to prevent any growth from unwanted bacteria during the first days of fermentation. If it's not possible, what can I do? Can I make the starter tea by myself with a scoby only?

I've also read somewhere that vinegar could replace the starter tea. But I don't have any apple cider vinegar in hand, and not a big fan of distilled white vinegar. Is there anything else I can use - like lime juice perhaps? I got bunch of fresh lime. And one more thing: if I'm not planning to brew the kombucha straight away, could I store the scoby in the fridge, let say without anything (if she won't give me the starter tea)? Or should I leave it at room temp? Oh I live in a tropical country with average daily temp around 30°C/86°F, if that matters!

Thank you very much!
Sorry if I asked too much.🙏

The starter tea is SCOBY.
It is absolutely necessary.
You can get rid of the pellicle and use only starter tea. Make sure you have 1/4 starter tea to 3/4 sweet tea.

Back