SCOBY lifted by carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryebred

Reaction score
I'm on my third batch ever, currently undergoing F1. My last batch was incredibly fizzy, even just out of F1, and I suspect some of that carbonation made it into the starter tea I saved for this batch. Point is, my SCOBY has now floated all the way to the top, so only the bottom layer touches the tea. It's slowly starting to balloon up a bit, and I'm worried this will inhibit the growth of a new SCOBY. I haven't touched it at all yet; when should I intervene, if at all?

The scoby always ends up on top which is completely normal. Even if you have a scoby that initially sinks, you will get a new one formed up top. As far as time to brew it's variable. I have a 5 gallon batch that is one month old and it's still too sweet and needs more time. I use to take the pH, but now I just sample it every few days. Once it's tart enough I keg and serve. I wouldn't dump anything if it doesn't taste great. Still bottle it, add fruit, or whatever to get it in it's final form. Once carbed the flavor profile will be better.

I am on my 3rd attempt at making KT, The first two 1 gallon jars are 20 days old and are maintained at approx 80 degrees, they are progressing very slowly. Quite frankly I don't even know if they are good anymore. The pH strips have just recently within the past 2 days have gone from 4.0 to 3.8. Taste test is not really sweet, slightly acidic but doesn't taste good. Not bad but not good. I'm gonna let the first 2 jars go for 30 day and if theres no signs of better progress I'm might just toss it. This third attempt is 6 days old, was started from unflavored GT Kombucha and has a pH of 3.2 and a very thin pellicle is forming (which I assume is good) at a much greater rate but the Carbonation is lifting it away from the fluid.

The scoby always ends up on top which is completely normal. Even if you have a scoby that initially sinks, you will get a new one formed up top. As far as time to brew it's variable. I have a 5 gallon batch that is one month old and it's still too sweet and needs more time. I use to take the pH, but now I just sample it every few days. Once it's tart enough I keg and serve. I wouldn't dump anything if it doesn't taste great. Still bottle it, add fruit, or whatever to get it in it's final form. Once carbed the flavor profile will be better.
Thanks for the quick response, I will keep the 2 gallons and keep tasting over the next week or so and bottle. I'll check back once I make any progress.

Back