Schuylkill Kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meddle

Reaction score
I'm curious what you folks think of this recipe. I'm looking to brew my first Kolsch and stumbled upon this.

Brewer: 12 String Brewing • Beer: Schuylkill Kolsch Style: Kolsch • Type: Extract w/ grain • Size: 5 gallons SG: 1.054 • FG: 1.010 • Bitterness: 23 IBU’s • ABV: 6%

INGREDIENTS
Grains:
2 lb. German Vienna
8 oz. dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)
8 oz. flaked wheat
(Each steeped for 45 mins.)
Boil:
5 lb light DME
8 oz. honey
Hops:
.5 oz. Saaz (3.75% AA, 60 min.)
.5 oz. Saaz (3.75% AA, 45 min.)
.5 oz. Tettnanger (4.5% AA, 45 min.)
.5 oz. Tettnanger (4.5% AA, 15 min.)
Yeast:
Wyeast German ale yeast

From what I've been reading, I was considering switching the light DME with pilsner DME. And it seems crucial to have Kolsch yeast, so I was planning on White Labs WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch or Wyeast2565 Kolsch.

You forgot to add, that to be a TRUE Schuylkill Kolsch you need to add some brown water. It's the only Kolsch with that "twinge of greatness". ;)

I was considering switching the light DME with pilsner DME. And it seems crucial to have Kolsch yeast, so I was planning on White Labs WLP029 German Ale/Kolsch or Wyeast2565 Kolsch.

They are the right subs to make to get closer to a true kolsch. Also, that seems like a large amount of vienna to me.

Cheers,
Glenn

You can leave the Light DME, no need to buy Pilsener DME if you don't already have it. Cut out some vienna and use the yeast you have. In a trye Kolsch there is no honey, vienna, etc ...but if it adds to the flavor - brew what you like!

Latest posts

Back