School bus memories.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw one kid start another kid's 3-ring binder on fire and he just got yelled at for it.

So... good?

In first grade I crapped my pants.

In 7th grade our bus driver was fired for driving down the wrong side of the road and causing an accident.

In 9th grade I got sick and puked all over myself.
I wasn't allowed to ride the bus later that year because I kept jumping out the emergency exit. I lived on a corner right by the stop sign. The bus would drive right by my house and drop us off 1/2 a mile away. Screw that. I made my own stop. After like the 4th or 5th time, they wouldn't allow me back on the bus. My mom had to drive me everyday after that.

Aside from that, I slept a lot on the bus.

THE END

I didn't ride the bus to/from school/home, but we rode them a lot to and from sporting events (swim team, football, track).

1) Pantsless rides. Go to your seat, sit down, take off your pants, and don't put them back on until you get to your destination. Unless you're sitting in one of the first few rows, the driver has no idea you're not wearing pants. It was great.

2) Covertly setting people on fire. Move to the seat behind your target. Spray a few spritzes of cologne on their shirt sleeve, and apply a Bic lighter. See how long it takes for the person to realize they are on fire. A lot of folks going home with mysterious burn holes in their shirts, myself included. It was great.

3) Stink bombs. Break one under someone else's seat. Only if you're willing to suffer right along with everyone else. It was great.

Swim team was best, because co-ed hijinks, which I'm not going to go into here.

I got choked by a "bully" on the bus once.

Later in life, I got to talk to him, face him down, and he had not much at all to say.

Too many times waiting for what seemed like forever for the driver to sort out whatever **** they didn't like going on so we could hit the road. This was the afternoon bus in Jr. High, morning was not so bad. I started walking home after this became a routine, maybe 3 or 4 miles.

Morning bus rides were fairly uneventful. Mostly silent with lots of people sleeping and redneck funny guy talk radio on. John Boy & Billy for those that know.

Afternoon bus rides were interesting. It was a long ride home I remember.
There were lots of paper wad fights and one guy spilled a cup of tobacco spit on me (most likely on purpose).
The further you got toward the back of the bus the more like terror dome it became.
I was lucky enough to have some older friends that started giving me rides to and from school.

There was a family of angry ginger kids on my route. Last day of school the middle boy tied my shoelaces to the seat post while I was asleep. At our stop, i hopped up to get off and went flat on my face. After getting untied while figuring out who did it, I gave him a love tap on the back of the head. His older sister, a couple years older than me, braced herself between the seats and kicked me between the shoulders with both feet. When I gathered my senses, I found my older sister on top of her, just pummeling her.

Bus driver tells us to have a nice summer, and the gingers never rode that route again.

We also smoked and dipped and drank warm beers that older kids would bring on. The last five rows of that bus were like a damn frat house for farm kids.

Oh yeah! So, of course, a school bus doesn't have seat belts, which I find weird, but whatever - "studies say" they are safe enough without. Anyway, on our bus ride, we had to cross a set of train tracks that was raised up a little from the road. You all know what I mean. Mornings were usually slow & sleepy, even for the bus driver, but in the afternoons, the drivers would definitely be alert & wanting to get rid of us ******* kids, so we'd hit the train tracks at speed. Even at 35MPH, when you sit in the last 1/3 of the bus, you came up out of your seat, and the farther back you sat, the higher up you'd go. Asses completely left the seats, and I remember one guy getting dumped out into the middle aisle one time.

That guy... was me. Me & my best friend at the time always had the last row of seats on the driver's side, at least in 8th & 9th grades. It was awesome.

Yes, this was before it was a law for a bus to stop at all RR crossings.

A kid was picking on my younger brother and my brother was doing his best to keep his cool, but thus kid wasn't letting up, so I walked over, tapped this kid on the shoulder and just when he turned around, I sucker punched him in the face. That was the only kid I ever hit.
Edit: I was also a kid at the time.

We had a wooden bridge over railroad tracks, in a big hump, on my route. We also had a young lady bus driver. She would go over the bridge very fast, anyone behind the rear wheels would hit the ceiling!!!!

One time the bus wouldn't yield road space to a piggy back logging truck on a back road (that is, the entire route I was one) and the back half half of the truck went over in the ditch and we just kept rolling...

Numerous times when we almost didn't make hills because the roads were bad.

Idk, I stopped riding when I was 14- about half my life ago, so I've forgotten more of that stuff than I remember.

I had a 25+ mile ride from my vocational high school. Some of the boys were so rowdy that the bus driver would promise a stop at the ice cream stand if they behaved themselves.

Moved to a new school in 5th grade. Some jackass pantsed me (got the underwear along with my shorts). I swung my book bag at him catching him in the temple with the corner of my metal lunchbox along with the leverage of hardcover textbook. Bastard never tried **** with me again that year.

Man, we had to walk to the bus stop. Seems like they stop at each kid's house these days. My wife had to walk across a highway in high school.

For a few years, we caught the bus along side a four lane. The big dirt haulers and freight trucks used that road, and we would pump our arms for them to blow their air horns. We got a kick out of that.

In Jr High, we had gladiator bouts every morning at the bus stop. We beat the living crap out of each other.

In 11th grade, the one school bus we had at the cult school was an auto shop project. It was an old Bluebird. That thing never hauled a single kid that year.

In 12th grade, I lived close enough to walk, and then got a car. Well, most of a car.

All of you rode the short bus? Everyone got themselves to school and they didn't close the schools when snow was foretasted, special kids rode the bus.;)

In my hometown, there were three giant public high schools, and they had their own busses. There was the rich kids' high school and ... Busses? Pshah.

The remaining three high schools - my Lutheran school, the Catholic school, and the alternative school shared busses. My school was so small it was nice having an opportunity to meet girls from other schools on the bus. Even wound up dating one of the Catholic girls for a little while. So it wasn't so bad.

Back