schneider weisse date

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramjam

Hopfen und Malz Gott erhalts
Reaction score
can anyone help me figure out how old these beers are

Attachments

• IMG_0658.JPG
    IMG_0658.JPG
    295.9 KB · Views: 148
yeah that’s what i was afraid of, i was planning on harvesting the yeast from these but if it was bottled in 17 there’s no sense in even trying probably lol

thanks, i have wanted to try this for a while, i love schneider beers, maybe the ol yeasies will pull through

It looks like there is what could be a date code: DDMMYY = 041017
Could also be that the number above is a Julian date code: that is, the 314th day of '17. Julian codes are probably the most common in brewing (especially this side of the pond,) often embedded in a longer code number but easily identifiable as a sequence YYXXX where you're tipped off by the numbers YY which look like a plausible 2-digit year. DDMMYY (or MMDDYY) are probably the least common but sure are easy. The most common in Germany and elsewhere in Europe is the 4 digit code giving the last digit in the day of the month, the two digit week of the year , and the last digit in the year: so today's date, 02 March, 2020, being a date ending in 2, in the 10th week of 2020, appears as 2100.

Anyway looks like that is from '17. Good luck waking the little bugs.

041017 = manufacturing date. In brewing that is the day the yeast was pitched. In this case October 4th 2017. 17.314 is most likely just the sequential lot number with the year embedded. That would be the 314th lot for 2017. Interpreted as a Julian date that would mean November 4th 2017 and that is a month later than the other date so it wouldn't match. Lot numbers must also allow for more than one lot being produced per day so a simple sequential number rolling back to zero at the start of each year is the simplest solution. Since the relationship with the manufacturing date is lost if using sequential numbers then the need arises to also print the manufacturing date.

In any case it's pretty old yeast but since Schneider referments in the bottle and does not pasteurize then all hope is not lost and it's possible that something good might come out of a carefully conducted propagation. Let's just hope the bottle didn't spend a month at sea under the scorching sun...

i have five bottles of it, my sis picked up for me while she was out of town, maybe out of five bottles there will be some living yeast, they all have the same bottling date, too bad it wasn’t a six pack of ayinger celebrator or something else that would benefit from age lol

Back