Scaling from 5gal to 10gal all grain batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrewkeggin

Reaction score
I've only ever brewed 5 gallon all grain batches, but I would like to try to scale up to 10 gallons soon. I plan to do so by just using Beersmith to scale an existing 5 gallon recipe. I would like to know if there are any 'gotchas', in the transition. My brew kettle is a 1/2 barrel sankey keg, so boil overs shouldn't be an issue. My mash tun is a 70qt rectangular Coleman cooler with a copper manifold. I haven't had any issues with stuck mashes for 5 gallon batches. I plan to ferment in 2 separate 5 gallon buckets or carboys. Additionally, should I always use rice hulls for a 10 gallon batch? Thanks!

I've only ever brewed 5 gallon all grain batches, but I would like to try to scale up to 10 gallons soon. I plan to do so by just using Beersmith to scale an existing 5 gallon recipe. I would like to know if there are any 'gotchas', in the transition. My brew kettle is a 1/2 barrel sankey keg, so boil overs shouldn't be an issue. My mash tun is a 70qt rectangular Coleman cooler with a copper manifold. I haven't had any issues with stuck mashes for 5 gallon batches. I plan to ferment in 2 separate 5 gallon buckets or carboys. Additionally, should I always use rice hulls for a 10 gallon batch? Thanks!

That depends on how well you like to deal with a stuck mash or sparge. Rice hulls aren't required but can be cheap insurance. Lining your mash tun with a fine mesh bag works even better.

Since you are using the same equipment it should be safe to simply double the ingredients. Your kettle losses will be the same so your brewhouse efficiency will improve some.

When I moved to a keggle my boil off rate went up, I boil off 1.5 gallons. And you can boil over with it, i start with 12.5 gallons so i have 11 gallons going into 2 fermenters.

You will also need a good wort chiller, I made a 1/2"x50' one that brings the temps down pretty quick.

I don't do anything different, except use double the ingredients. I see higher efficiency doing 10 vs 5.
Same here. You will see a higher efficiency in the 10 gallon recipe. I have my first 10 gallon batch in primary now. It's a blonde that I brew a ton and cant keep in the kegs because of friends/neighbors (the reason I'm going to 10 gallon).

What is normally a 1048 -1050 OG just did 1058 while doing 10gal.

Latest posts

Back