Scalded while brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluckk

Reaction score
I've been brewing since 2004, so I have had my share of accidents. Today, I experienced something new. I chill my wort with a pump running ice cold water from my cooler through a wort chiller coil and back into the cooler. Today right as I started it, I dropped the chord and walked around to the other side of the cooler. At that second a bubble must have come through or something because the hose shot out of the cooler and sprayed my whole right chest and arm with scalding water. Everywhere it touched in bright red and painful while the spot the water hit (just below my right nipple) is blistered. It hurts something awful. I'm trying to finish the batch before I get it taken care of. Of course, though I'm scalded, I'm trying to finish the batch and posting about it on HBT, so I guess this might go in the "You might be a homebrewer..." thread. I'm not risking this batch to get a bit of cream. "Grit teeth and keep working."

If it's a second degree burn over 3" in length or in a sensitive area (hands, feet, joints, butt, groin, etc.) you'll probably want to get it looked at. Second degree burns have intense red skin swelling, blistering and severe pain.

Treatment: Soak the area in cool water for 15 minutes. Not cold water and no ice. A cold water compress will also work. This conducts heat away from the area and can relieve pain. Cover the burn with a sterile gauze bandage, loose fitting. It protects the burn. Take over the counter pain relievers.

I'm doing ok. The wort is in the fermenter, everything is put away and I'm relaxing with my Citra Amber Ale. I have seven blisters and everywhere else is going back to normal pasty white.

Make sure you keep the blistered area clean, this coming from experience it is painful if it also tries to get infected

Whatever you do, don't put butter or crisco on it.. lol

On the plus side, you've got a war wound. Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory is forever.

Oh.. another plus side. you've got something to base the brewname on now.. :mug:

Back