Say a bug flew in to the kettle...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoePro

Reaction score
So a junebug flew into my kettle after at flameout while I was tending to my plate chiller. Water in the BK was around 200*. I got the guy out asap, but the bacteria he was carrying would die in that temp, right?

A june bug after flame-out will add very little in the way of flavor or aroma. I would suggest adding earlier in your boil. :D

Seriously, I would not worry about it.

yes deff too hot to grow bacteria...i brew outside and tons of god knows what falls in but when the wort is still super hot who cares.. but who knows

You should be fine. Many people have had bugs...especially bees fly into their wort.

The threads digress quickly into bug jokes and special names for the beer :ban:

A june bug after flame-out will add very little in the way of flavor or aroma. I would suggest adding earlier in your boil. :D

Seriously, I would not worry about it.

I agree, you'll also need way more than just one.

Also, most bacteria it had on its surface probably can't grow in beer to begin with.

Well, I already have a name set out for this one, unfortunately.

I'm naming it after my dog, a blonde one eyed sheltie named Una.

It's called "One Eyed Belgian *****". It's a single malt tripel.

All good points. Also, if you need more to settle your worries, a proper yeast pitching rate will ensure that the yeast will have enough numbers to remove any other microorganism. They're living things... they will alter their environment so it's best suited for them and detrimental for other microorganisms.

All good points. Also, if you need more to settle your worries, a proper yeast pitching rate will ensure that the yeast will have enough numbers to remove any other microorganism. They're living things... they will alter their environment so it's best suited for them and detrimental for other microorganisms.

Well, this is good news. I had a really vigorous blow-off last week about 12 hours after pitching. They definitely took hold!

The bug is what you saw fall into the kettle. No worries there - pitch big at the right temp and you are fine. Keep in mind there are all kinds of things that fall in that you don't see that are a bigger concern. That's the reason you pitch quick and with adequate volume so the yeast win the race! I do agree that you'll need quite a few more "aroma" bugs to get that fresh out of the ground, buggy smell!

I have a american wheat I call "June Bug Wheat" while boiling it flew in (what a glorious way to die) and I didnt catch for at least 5-10 minutes, I saw him surface after a boil rolled over. Beer turned out great.

Latest posts

Back