Saving priming sugar solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheldon

Reaction score
I thought I was going to be bottling 2 5 gal batches today so I went ahead and prepared (boiled) two priming solutions. Lo and behold, one batch isnt ready to bottle. So the question I pose is: can I put the priming solution into a mason jar and save for next week or is it too risky to potential contamination. The cost of making a new priming solution is not a consideration.

Thanks in advance for the sage advice I expect to receive.

Sheldon

You can save it if you want, but I'd probably pitch it. You'd have to sanitize the container, and save it in the fridge, and then reboil it before using anyway. Since I pay $.99/pound for priming sugar, I'd probably just ditch it and start over when I bottle.

As long as the solution is boiling when you put it in the jar, just throw it in the fridge until your next bottling day.

Thanks for confirming my first thoughts of tossing. I still have a good amount from the 5 lb bag of priming sugar i recently purchased. Frustrating when you plan and it doesn't go according to Hoyle. At least the Abt 12 was ready and man does it already taste outstanding.

Cheers.

As long as the solution is boiling when you put it in the jar, just throw it in the fridge until your next bottling day.

Note that pouring boiling liquid into a glass jar can cause the jar to shatter explosively, showering you in both broken glass and boiling sugar syrup.

No, I'm not. Unless it's something like pyrex that can handle the heat, it's not safe to pour boiling water into a glass container. I have an aunt that got pretty badly burned that way.

I have been pouring boiling water/sugar solutions/stuff to be canned into mason jars for years.

Mind you, we are talking about mason jars here. When I poured some boiling water into an el cheapo IKEA 2L glass jar, it cracked. :(

Back