Saved wort as priming sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knowltonm

Reaction score
Has anybody tried saving an exact amount of wort on brew day to use as priming sugar when bottling instead of corn sugar or DME? Just seal it and throw it in the fridge? I haven't done the calculations to find out how much would be needed, but I know it wouldn't be that hard. I was just wondering if anybody has tried it and what their result was. Thanks.

What you're talking about is Krausening. It's not that hard and can be accomplished fairly easily. Most people use priming sugar or force carbonation (keg). Here's a link for you to investigate. KRAUSENING

Did you know the Reinheitsgebot doesn't mention CO2, so if you force carbonate, you are no longer compliant?:D

Did you know the Reinheitsgebot doesn't mention CO2, so if you force carbonate, you are no longer compliant?:D

Unless the CO2 you're using has come from fermentation.;)

I believe, technically, krausening is adding actively fermenting beer to beer. (Hence the name... the actively fermenting beer is at high krausen when pitched.) But I emphasize "technically" because adding fermenting or unfermented wort seems to get lumped together for "krausening" these days. Noonan speaks highly of it in New Brewing Lager Beer... i.e., adding krausen beer (saved wort from brewday plus washed yeast from primary) to secondary/lagering to help finish and clean up the beer.

I've primed with saved wort (spiese/gyle) several times. The calculation is:

Quarts gyle = (12 X Gallons beer)/last-two-digits-of-OG

I found it sort of a PITA with not much, if any, noticeable return. So, I went back to corn sugar... and then to force-carbed kegging.:)

Latest posts

Back