save my smack pack!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thakog

Reaction score
So, I was brewing a batch last weekend using those Wyeast smack packs. This was my first time using them, normally I just go dry yeast or white labs. However, when I "smacked" the pack I realized I actually hit my wife's mead pack instead of the beer yeast I needed. It's been in the fridge for a week, and it's expanded quite a bit. I think she's gonna blow. (Just the smack pack, not the wife.)

What's my best way of salvaging this? Can I stick it in the freezer, or will that kill everything? Due to carboy space, she won't be able to start the mead for a couple of weeks unless we buy another carboy.

Don't freeze it. Keeping it cold in the fridge is smart.

As long as the packet doesn't rupture (which it shouldn't) the yeast would still be fine in a few weeks when you're ready to use it. I'd just go ahead and make sure you make a starter with it so you have the healthiest yeast in the greatest numbers to make sure everything goes well.

Back