Save infected wort by re-boiling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epimetheus

Reaction score
The wort was left for 4 days. Yes, I pitched within 24 hours but the yeast was obviously not viable, there was no action. I noticed a few very tiny floaties that are definitely mold. I tried it and it does not yet taste sour.

Is it possible to save the wort by re-boiling and re-pitching?

So, no krausen, no sediment, no decrease in SG?
Yes, while I have not read of anyone doing it, I don't see why reboiling , then repitching wouldn't work. And you should be able to get away with just heating it to the boiling point, or maybe even to pasteurization temp.
What happened to your yeast pitch- any ideas?

Doesnt hurt to try. I dont see why it wouldnt work........Lets us know how it works

I have not brewed in months (sad) and used the yeast on hand. Must have been old yeast or I did not notice a mistake, like maybe the starter solution was too warm and killed it.

OK, I'll bring it to a boil and create a proper starter with fresh yeast and report on the results.

Results:
Yay! it worked!
  • The mildly infected wort was brought to a boil and cooled
  • A strong batch of starter was created
  • Within a few hours of pitching the yeast it is madly bubbling away.

The aromatic hops are gone. That is OK. It is a smoked porter that does not depend on the aromatics.

So by "it worked" you mean you pitched healthy yeast?

I am curious if you can taste any off-flavors due to the infection. Depending on the level of contamination (which it sounds like yours was pretty low), some of the potential off-flavors will be stuck in the beer and will not boil off. Also, FWIW, mold is different than bacteria, and it is the bacteria that causes in the sourness beers. I have tasted mold in beer before; it's not sour but definitely has a pungent dusty flavor/aroma.

Back