Sanyo 4912 Conversion Finally Operational (w/ pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
It's been a long time coming. First, someone gave me 4 cornies (a long time ago). Then, months later, I bought a couple ventmatic faucets when there was a great deal on eBay. Months after that, I bought a 2-tap tower when AHS had a sale on them. Then, last week, I ordered the rest of the equipment from kegconnection.com and bought the 4912 from Best Buy:

sanyo4912.jpg

Over the weekend, I installed the tower (what a PITA) and cleaned the kegs really well. My dual regulator, beer lines, o-rings and disconnects arrived in the mail yesterday---one of the dials on the regulator had been broken in shipment, but luckily, I had scored a single regulator along with the co2 tank in a craigslist score, so I just swapped out that dial and got to work---the replacement dial should be in the mail.

I racked the Steffiweizenbock and Hobbled Goblin into sanitized (and lubed) kegs, and put them on 35psi. Now all I do is wait...

Bottles on the left, kegs on the right. So much beer!

beerstation.jpg

taptower.jpg

openfridge.jpg

The door still won't close if I leave those shelves in there---I think it's because the dual regulator is so long, because when I had the tank and single regulator in there, the door closed okay with the shelves. No worries, not like I need the shelves anyway. So as soon as the force-carbing is done---tomorrow night maybe---I should be able to pull my first pint!

Now I just need a drip tray (waiting for the long ones at AHS to go on sale again!) and we're good to go. Special thanks to buford for his excellent pictorial instructions on the conversion, and to ohiobrewtus for helping me understand how to work this contraption...

Looks great! I'm jealous. I need to finish my long-running parts gathering too and switch to kegging. I've got 4 corny kegs and a couple of CO2 regulators, but got sidetracked on that project. Sure do hate bottling............................

At a minimum you'll want to put a towel or something down so the top of the fridge doesn't get all wet and sticky.

We all expect to see pics of the first pints as well. Like I told you before - once you start pulling pints you'll wonder why you waited so long and you'll never want to bottle again.

Soulive said:
You forgot to thank me :p

Nice faucets! I still need a drip tray too and I did mine over 6 months ago...

Thank you too, Soulive...sorry, so many people to thank...Jebus, my momma, bird's momma, that homeless guy who likes to box the telephone pole...

Seriously, thanks for yer help...

ohiobrewtus said:
At a minimum you'll want to put a towel or something down so the top of the fridge doesn't get all wet and sticky.

We all expect to see pics of the first pints as well. Like I told you before - once you start pulling pints you'll wonder why you waited so long and you'll never want to bottle again.

yeah, see that towel hanging on top of the bottle of starsan on the bottle fridge? That's exactly what it's for.

I know, I know, you keep saying that, and I keep believing you.

I have to bottle a batch of EF this weekend (for competitions) and I'm dreading it, as I haven't bottled anything for about 4 months now.

Later this year I hope to start my next big project which involves anywhere from 4 -6 additional taps to alleviate the logjam of beer that I have with only 2 taps.

Waydago! That's persistance on the sales. How much do you have in it as far as parts go?

Oh yeah. Welcome to the club, The Kegerator Club!!

Evan! said:
Thank you too, Soulive...sorry, so many people to thank...Jebus, my momma, bird's momma, that homeless guy who likes to box the telephone pole...

Seriously, thanks for yer help...

No problem, I love to advocate kegging whenever I can :mug:

Evan! said:
The door still won't close if I leave those shelves in there---I think it's because the dual regulator is so long, because when I had the tank and single regulator in there, the door closed okay with the shelves. No worries, not like I need the shelves anyway. So as soon as the force-carbing is done---tomorrow night maybe---I should be able to pull my first pint!

2 kegs, stock door shelves and a dual regulator will fit but you have to get'em just so. not my photo but I made the same CO2 tank shelf. rests on that back ledge and just big enough (make it small as possible so the kegs can be pushed toward the back) for the tank to sit in the middle up against the cooling unit. I used a cut off broom handle for the leg. I have to tilt the tank a few degrees but it all will fit.

tip passed on by someone else now I return the favor. photo shows single regulator but a dualy will fit

2005_0426Image0003.jpg

jldesign said:
2 kegs, stock door shelves and a dual regulator will fit but you have to get'em just so. not my photo but I made the same CO2 tank shelf. rests on that back ledge and just big enough (make it small as possible so the kegs can be pushed toward the back) for the tank to sit in the middle up against the cooling unit. I used a cut off broom handle for the leg. I have to tilt the tank a few degrees but it all will fit.

tip passed on by someone else now I return the favor. photo shows single regulator but a dualy will fit

2005_0426Image0003.jpg

Thanks...yeah, I have a shelf, but it sits in the tracks on the side where the stock glass shelves were supposed to go. This means that the tank doesn't sit quite against the back wall. I'll heed your advice and see what I can fabricate this weekend. A full woodshop and a ton of scraps means anything is possible...:D

ohiobrewtus said:
I have to bottle a batch of EF this weekend (for competitions) and I'm dreading it, as I haven't bottled anything for about 4 months now.

Later this year I hope to start my next big project which involves anywhere from 4 -6 additional taps to alleviate the logjam of beer that I have with only 2 taps.

See, I've never dreaded bottling like most others do. It's not m favorite thing in the world...but I make the best of it. Get a good album or audiobook on the iPod, retire to the brewery (laundry room) in the basement, pour a pint, and go all zen-like on 'em. So I'll probably still bottle maybe half or a third of what I brew.

Oh, and, um, hehe, you said "logjam". :D

Back