sanke keg purging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmtech825

Reaction score
so im ready to start kegging. ive got a 1/6 barrel keg and im not sure exactly on the purging process, do i just fill the keg and use the relief valve to purge the headspace? im bottling half and kegging the other half so how long of a purge is needed? walk me through it please.
thanks

I usually let it fill with CO2, pull the valve for 3 seconds, wait 10 sec, pull it for 3 more, and call it a day.

As with most things, there are probably several methods people use, all of them work. As long as you are confident you pushed the air out, you are good to go. Even if there is air in there, CO2 is heaver, and will sit over the beer like a blanket.

so the process is the same whether sanke or corny kegs are used. i know the corny kegs have release valves on them but the sanke kegs dont. the relief valve on the sanke tap will purge the keg?

Don't worry about sanke kegs unless you're fermenting in them. At that point, I would think you'd need some sort of fitting to add a relief valve inline. Otherwise, if you're just tapping commercial kegs, since they're already carbonated, you don't need to worry about purging. At least...I don't.

Don't worry about sanke kegs unless you're fermenting in them. At that point, I would think you'd need some sort of fitting to add a relief valve inline. Otherwise, if you're just tapping commercial kegs, since they're already carbonated, you don't need to worry about purging. At least...I don't.

no, im putting my homebrew into a 1/6 barrel

If it has a relief valve, use it. Can I ask where you bought a sanke keg that's setup for homebrew? I ask because I'd be interested in using them, but I don't have the extra equipment to clean them and fill them.

If it has a relief valve, use it. Can I ask where you bought a sanke keg that's setup for homebrew? I ask because I'd be interested in using them, but I don't have the extra equipment to clean them and fill them.

You don't need any extra equipment besides maybe a screwdriver and pliers. The instructions to open a sankey keg are readily available, you can open them and siphon in whatever you wish..

if i install the tap but dont push down the handle is the beer being carbonated? or do i need the lever pushed down first.

Back