Sanke keg opening and Tri-clamp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davou

Reaction score
Will the end of a sanke keg accept a tri-clamp enclosure? I'm ordering two kegs to use as fermenters, and I figured being able to close them when I've got em filled with cleaner will allow me to turn them upside down and make sure the hard to reach areas receive a good soak.

I cant for the life of my find a picture of a commercial keg closed up with a tri-clamp.

Yes you can absolutely! I have a bottom draining kit you can use to do just that. I sell it with the ball valve as part of the kit.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Tri-Clover-Sanke-Keg-Bottom-Drain-Kit.html

Now you can ferment in the keg as an upright part. We have a boatload of solutions for doing just that. I am using one (brewed yesterday actually) and totally love it. You can get the kits with a thermowell port and without.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Sanke-Keg-Fermenter-Kit.html

Pass through spray head, pass through compression fitting for the racking cane. Its awesome!

I would suggest the silicone gasket for what ever you plan on doing. They just seem to seal better than any of the other I have tried.

Cheers
Jay

Those are pretty awesome, for now my plan is to use the carboy cap things and get a tri-clover with a cap so that I can seal it up full of pbw and shake it for cleanup. standard 2 inch tri clamps seal it up properly, I'd get an airtight seal on it?

You ship to Canada?

Thanks for all the answers everyone!

Those are pretty awesome, for now my plan is to use the carboy cap things and get a tri-clover with a cap so that I can seal it up full of pbw and shake it for cleanup. standard 2 inch tri clamps seal it up properly, I'd get an airtight seal on it?

You ship to Canada?

Yes a FULL AIRTIGHT seal and boatloads of pressure. I used the 2" Coupling one with spray head and was able to get it to about 75 PSI (house water pressure) Just to test them out. they will handle probably more PSI than that but why would ya want it. like I said use the silicone gasket. They do work the best for sure.

If you want a lower cost solution and still use the Stainless stuff we offer this blow off tube. Again with and without the thermowell.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/2-Inch-Tri-Clover-Connection-Blow-Off-Tube.html

Picture shows it on a SS Chronical but its perfect for kegs.

Super cheap.

Cheers
Jay

thats awesome! I may just have to step up and order from you instead of the caps I was planning!

Having never dont stainless ferments before, can I ask about the thermowell? Do I need an electric sensor for it, or can I just drop in some water and a standard dial thermometer to read the internal ferm temperature?

You ship to Canada?

As one who started with a Carboy cap, please do yourself a favor and use a tri-clover, it is so much easier to get on and off.

thats awesome! I may just have to step up and order from you instead of the caps I was planning!

Having never dont stainless ferments before, can I ask about the thermowell? Do I need an electric sensor for it, or can I just drop in some water and a standard dial thermometer to read the internal ferm temperature?

They are generally used with electronic devises for control. But I don't see any reason why you cant add some water and drop in a thermometer for information purposes.

Cheers
Jay

Back