Sanke Fermenter Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

traviswalken

Reaction score
I would like to ferment in a sanke but am spooked about cleaning something I can't touch or see. A local homebrewer posted an ad on craigslist for a sanke fermenter. Here are a couple pics: (I have never posted pics here, so I hope this works)

c5xc.jpg

mdrj.jpg

The only way this will work is if I can transfer via CO2 pressure. The guy who is selling it has been using a pump to transfer. I really would rather do it with CO2.

I have read some previous posts and am wondering about doing the following:
-Use a pressure cooker seal and clamp down the lid to seal (assuming the seal he is using won't hold some pressure)
-rig up CO2 to the pvc he has threaded to the lid (this only works if the pvc is threaded and holds pressure)
-rig up a dip tub...maybe a weldless bulkhead, compression fitting, 1/2" stainless tube, etc.

I would guess I could build the stuff I describe above for about $30-40.

What do you guys think?

It would work.
You could add weight to the lid to help the seal "conform" to the dome,if the existing seal won't seal, you could change it to a "bulb" type seal, and the weight would seal it.
leave the weight off of it when transferring with C O2, in case the vessel needs to "burp".

Dip tube..........For transferring, yes, minimizing.........................DUH,

I got it now.........Pressurize the vessel, and transfer OUT through the dip tube, yes?

You could clamp it down with some tool box style latches.

It would work.
You could add weight to the lid to help the seal "conform" to the dome,if the existing seal won't seal, you could change it to a "bulb" type seal, and the weight would seal it.
leave the weight off of it when transferring with C O2, in case the vessel needs to "burp".

Dip tube..........For transferring, yes, minimizing.........................DUH,

I got it now.........Pressurize the vessel, and transfer OUT through the dip tube, yes?

You could clamp it down with some tool box style latches.

Yes you got it. It would be more accurate to call the "dip tube" a racking cane.

Back