Sanity check on RIMS controller schematic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trnitz

Reaction score
Creating a RIMS controller, using the Auber 4352 PID.

Using the attached schematic, thought I had it wired correctly, especially as it passed initial testing.

1) It didn't trip the GFCI outlet I plugged it into (always a good start).

2) Each outlet ran independently, and turned on a lamp plugged into it, but only when the switch was thrown. In case of the outlet that is supposed to fire the RIMS heating element, it only came on when called for by the PID.

Went and had a celebratory beer, but when I came back, the PID was resetting itself about every 10 seconds with a 04CJ / 808 message.

I did a quick Google search and found a couple of hits with that error code. It looks like it's possibly a faulty PID, or a faulty wiring job by myself, or a cross connection somewhere.

Checked all the connections, they're good, so figured I'd get another set of eye(s) on my wiring schematic before I contact the fine folks at Auber.

Small notes:
  • Each switch is a SPST switch
  • The tab between the two line inputs on the outlet is broken
  • The tab between the two neutral inputs on the outlet is still intact

Any input would be appreciated.

RIMS_controller.jpg

So I pulled up the manual for your PID over at Auber - http://auberins.com/images/Manual/Manual%2043X2%20v3.2.pdf

According to that, specifically section 3 - Terminal Wiring... comparing the wiring requirements to what you show in your diagram - your PID is wired all kinds of wrong. For example - Terminal 2 and 3 is AC supply and 9 and 10 are for Alarm 1. In your drawing you have power going to 9 and 10 and the RTD is going to 3.

Maybe it's as simple as your diagram not being correctly drawn... maybe it's as simple as you having wired the PID up totally backwards. Either way, I'd check that and fix one or the other.

-Kevin

Ah crap...my diagram is incorrect...correct terminal connections are:

Terminal 2: neutral input
Terminal 3: line input

Terminal 7: line output to SSR
Terminal 8: neutral output to SSR

Terminal 14/15/16: output to RTD

Back