Dual Purpose BIAC Control Panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcruse

Reaction score
I've had a medium Brewha BIAC sitting in my garage unassembled for 5 years (kids/business/life), and it's finally time to build this thing. At the time I also ordered a ton of parts to build a control panel for it. I remember I pretty much had the panel design figured out, but being 5 years ago I can't find my design files and have no recollection of the design.

My main goal with the panel is to be not only the brew day controller, but also the fermentation controller, since you use the same vessel for everything. This raised some unique challenges (as I really wanted to use the EZBoil PID controller for the brewing controller, but I don't believe it has any cooling capability. I also wanted to be able to program fermentation stages with the controller (step temperatures for lagers, cold crashing, etc.). So in addition to an EZBoil PID I also bought an Auber SYL-2352p PID that has step programmability. If I didn't already have almost all the parts already, I would probably just buy the Brewha touchscreen controller that does exactly everything I'm wanting. I also enjoy the challenge of trying to build something myself.

I've attached my first stab at a diagram for the panel to see if I could get the group to review and provide feedback. The main differences between this panel and other BIAC control panels is that instead of a Element on/off switch, I have a "Brew Mode" 3-way switch that can switch between BREW, OFF, and FERMENT. By switching between these settings, it will power on the appropriate PID, and alter the voltage to the 5500 watt element (240v for BREW, and 120v for FERMENT). In essence it's almost 2 controllers in one box, with separate PID/SSR/ELEMENT CONTACTOR chains for each mode.

The design points I'm really looking for feedback on are the shared outlet for the element for both modes, and the need for an e-stop button. I could always add a 2nd receptacle for the fermentation mode, but I don't really think it's necessary, since only one contactor that supplies power to the element can be closed at a time. Also I don't have an emergency stop in the design currently. I know there used to be a lot of argument about how those should be wired, but if it's needed, I'm leaning towards the design that trips the GFCI breaker at the distribution panel (because if your main contactor fails and arc-welds itself together in the closed position, turning the main switch to off or pressing an e-stop button that is wired to the contactor coil will NOT cut power to the panel). The e-stop wouldn't be a way to quickly shut things off if you have a brewing failure like a boilover, but only a last-ditch resort during catastrophic electrical failure. Finally, I didn't really make any attempt to accurately model how the PID's will be wired up (I know the line in, SSR signals are all in the wrong place, there's no temp probe in the diagram, etc...)

Anyway, let me know what you think, and thanks!

Attachments

• BIAB Panel (1).jpg
    BIAB Panel (1).jpg
    165 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Back