Sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajr1

Reaction score
I've attempted my first brew and I have a few questions about sanitation.

I'm pretty sure I sanitized everything properly but only afterwards I looked online to find out that people disagree on the effectiveness of B-brite. Should I be worried?

Also where is a good place to keep the sanitized equipment during the whole process? since it seems setting it on the counter is a bad idea.

Finally, until I can purchase some Star-San is the b-brite okay? Or could I use something like Lysol wipes or Germ X and rinse really well?

I'm pretty sure I sanitized everything properly but only afterwards I looked online to find out that people disagree on the effectiveness of B-brite. Should I be worried?
B-brite is just okay. You're just as well off using soap and water. It's more of a cleaner. You can use worse things, but definitely better. I would make getting a sanitizer a priority.

Also where is a good place to keep the sanitized equipment during the whole process? since it seems setting it on the counter is a bad idea.
In the sanitizer...soaking. Or in a sanitized vessel or sanitized surface.

Finally, until I can purchase some Star-San is the b-brite okay? Or could I use something like Lysol wipes or Germ X and rinse really well?
Yes, but like I said, soap and water would do the same thing. And no, just no to the wipes. Use a food grade sanitizer.

Treat your beer equipment the same way you would an open wound. Cleanliness, sanitation, and caution will prevent infection.

I've attempted my first brew and I have a few questions about sanitation.

Anything that I need sanitized stays in my bucket/tub of sanitizer until I use it. I have never found a need to let it all sit out after being sanitized.

I agree about the comment about no wipes. The chemicals used on those wipes have the potential to linger on your equipment. I would be more worried about the carryover of flavor than their safety, but both are probably valid concerns. star san was built for this hobby and is the gold standard in my opinion.

Star-san or iodophor is the way to go, no question. Both, when diluted properly, are extremely fast and effective at sanitizing and will require no rinsing. B-Brite should be used as a cleaning agent, not sanitizer.

I typically keep a spray bottle of star-San handy for quick sanitation of something I might accidentally drop or need to use quickly. Also a bucket of iodine solution for keeping things in during the entire being process. Take things out and drop it back in as needed.

Star-san or iodophor is the way to go, no question. Both, when diluted properly, are extremely fast and effective at sanitizing and will require no rinsing. B-Brite should be used as a cleaning agent, not sanitizer.

I typically keep a spray bottle of star-San handy for quick sanitation of something I might accidentally drop or need to use quickly. Also a bucket of iodine solution for keeping things in during the entire being process. Take things out and drop it back in as needed.

This ..

I like that the oxy cleaners such as b-brite, one step, easy clean and oxygen clean destroy the cells of organic matter. I use easy clean. For a long time this was my only form of germ control and have never has an infection. However, I have since added a spray bottle of nu foam (a food service contact sanitizers) in lieu of star san - only due to convenience. It's available in Restaurant Depot, and you drop on tablet into the spray bottle and add water. They spray bottle lasts several brews as it is stable.

I spray my counter top and a minute of two before ready to use an item, I spray it and set aside.

When I am done brewing, bottling etc, I use the easy clean to clean everything and give it a quick sanitizing spray before storing

oxy cleaners will do most of the heavy lifting so a spray is all I need with the more expensive sanitizer.

Not to hijack this thread but what about sanitizing bottles? How do folk sanitize their bottles? I generally fill mine with Star San when brewing and with K-meta solution when wine making but what do others do?

Not to hijack this thread but what about sanitizing bottles? How do folk sanitize their bottles? I generally fill mine with Star San when brewing and with K-meta solution when wine making but what do others do?

I do the same for my beer bottles. I soak them in star san and then drain them and put them onto a sanitized bottling tree. Before I fill, I dunk the neck into the star san again. That probably doesn't do anything, but it makes me feel good. I also keep a spray bottle handy. Keep in mind, I haven't bottled in more than a year though.

I don't bottle often either, but that bottling tree and cleaning attachment for the top is freaking money. Cleaning equipment always feels that way, though.

Personally I would advise against keeping plastic hoses in star-san for that long. Also, bungs/stoppers usually need to be dry of star san to stick properly in a carboy. I don't really use either of those things in my brewday process anymore, but what I started doing back then was to lay down a couple fresh sheets of aluminum foil, spray sanitizer on there, and let the individual parts dry on the foil. Maybe not foolproof, but I've never had an infected batch either.

I'd use the b-brite and wouldn't worry about it not being sanitary enough. As long as you give enough contact time you should be fine. I suppose it works the same as one step and easy clean. Both work fine with a couple minutes of contact time getting things sanitary enough. Can't be marketed as sanitizers, but they work.

I keep sanitized equipment in the bucket I mixed the sanitizer in.

You may not like this, but after triple-rinsing my bottles after they're emptied, I clean them in my dishwasher.

Then, when it is time to bottle, I will usually chill them in the freezer for a bit, then use a vinator to rinse them inside with Star San. Before I use that vinator I dip the mouth of the bottle in the Star-San to make sure it's sanitized too.

Haven't had a problem doing it this way.

I once read that new homebrewers tended to get infections, if they did, around their 10th batch. The theory underlying this was that by that point various detritus had built up in the brewing equipment providing safe harbor for infecting bacteria.

Don't know if that's true, but my first brew was not, shall we say, all that focused on sanitation (I used 1-step thinking it was a sanitizer). I've had an infection but it wasn't related to sanitation insofar as I know.

So, as a first-time brewer, you're probably ok.

I once read that new homebrewers tended to get infections, if they did, around their 10th batch. The theory underlying this was that by that point various detritus had built up in the brewing equipment providing safe harbor for infecting bacteria.

Yes - when I started a few years back I was fine for about 6 batches then had a few "off" batches... I think this is exactly the reason! Glad to hear someone else confirm (or at least re-state) my theory. Since then I go over the top with cleaning and sanitizing and every batch since has been fine... so they key message is to clean and sanitize everything carefully and handle your bottles the same way - plus I dip my hands into the sanitizer every couple of bottles which may or may not help but why mess with success? Good luck!

I've worked in the food industry all my life. The only way to keep something sanitized is, as said above, to leave it in a sanitized solution (for example water and starsan). Do NOT dry it of, just use it while it's wet. If there's anything on the towel you will infect it yourself. Also wash your hands, make sure your nails are clipped and comb your hair so there's no hairs falling into the beer; or even better wear a hat or something.
If you can't get your hands on starsan you can use pure alcohol (ethanol NOT methanol) if you want to be sure that everything is sanitized.

I've worked in the food industry all my life. The only way to keep something sanitized is, as said above, to leave it in a sanitized solution (for example water and starsan). Do NOT dry it of, just use it while it's wet. If there's anything on the towel you will infect it yourself. Also wash your hands, make sure your nails are clipped and comb your hair so there's no hairs falling into the beer; or even better wear a hat or something.
If you can't get your hands on starsan you can use pure alcohol (ethanol NOT methanol) if you want to be sure that everything is sanitized.

Sweet. I always went with keeping it in the star San as a hunch. I'm glad this seems to be a good way to keep everything sanitized.

Back